Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Are We There Yet?



If I close my eyes, I can picture myself sitting at a small French café as I drink an expresso, eat a crusty bagette, and attempt to read the local French newspaper. But then I open my eyes and here I still sit at my desk with a million things to do and a meeting schedule tomorrow that barely leaves me time for lunch.

This has been a hard week to be at work, especially after I finally settled on what to take and packed my suitcase. It just sits there patiently waiting to be wheeled out the door on Friday.

Even my retired husband is in a dither. He just called to say he is stressed because he needs to pick up a package at UPS, A-1 Heating never came to turn on our heat, and the dog-sitter is due to come over any moment to get the lowdown on her "clients". He did find time earlier to check out the 10-day forecast for Provence, which looks delightful.

For me, having a big trip to look forward to tends to put a cap on my anxiety level. I have had several crises already today which have simply failed to phase me. I simply pass on the name of the person who is going to be in charge in my absence and go back to my fantasy in the café.

I do hope tomorrow comes and goes fast because I am so ready to blow this town and be leaving on a jet plane..

10 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

The time will zoom by now that departure is so close at hand! It's all so exciting but can leave one a little stressed too. You will totally relax once you've checked your luggage, and can sit and have a coffee or a drink (depending on the time of day!)and just wait to be called to board. There are so many people that would love to be in your shoes right now...(One of the few pairs you're bringing!!!)

Will you be blogging from France? Hope so! What time do you leave on Fri.?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Let's hope everything falls into place and you have a stress free lead up to the departure.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I would be more than happy to let you wear my OTHER pair of shoes and come along to France. Yes, I will be Blogging, so stay tuned!

Richard -- I am just going through the motions at work. Part of me has already gone on vacation!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Have a wonderful time!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Have a fabulous time, and send us postcards, s'il vous plait :)

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure you'll have. FL

7:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'll send "posts", not cards! I do plan to Blog on my trip. I would feel deprived if I couldn't write...

FL -- Any words of wisdom from one on the inside as to how to game the airline system? Can I ask for air that filters out all the germs that the other passengers are coughing into it? (Ha!)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful trip you have planned. I know you will all have a fantastic time. Vive le France; vive le vin!

:-)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Have a wonderful time! The final moments are always a bit of a crunch/panic period for me, but that makes the relaxing so much better... I look forward to hearing all about your trip!

12:11 PM  
Blogger bytycci said...

isn't it espresso :)

have a good time in Fr!

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home