Saturday, September 30, 2006

The French Connection

It’s starting to dawn on me that our trip to Provence is just around the corner. As I stood in line at Whole Foods today, the above CD caught my eye. What better way to get accustomed to French than through good popular music? But then who buys good popular music of any sort in a grocery store?

My techie husband quickly downloaded the CD to his IPOD and we listened to it as we went into Georgetown to dinner tonight. It is filled with wonderful amorous music that you might find on the streets of Paris or on the Metro – you know the kind with those sexy deep female voices and the accordian and an occasional saxophone. There is nothing like the sensual quality of French set to music. Fabulous! Songs like Au Café de la Paix, Quelqu’un M’a Dit, Serre-Moi. I’m excited!

Another French connection sort of fell into our lap. We had an inquiry for High Holy Day tickets from a family who had just moved here from Paris. They stopped by our synagogue to pick up their tickets on Friday night. It turns out the Dad still lives in Paris and commutes to see his wife, who works for the World Bank, and his daughter. They will both be in Paris when we are there and we hope to get to see them. What a coincidence.

It’s so funny how the music has made this trip seem real, more than my French lessons with Ameneh, which have been fun but more like class than I had originally hoped for. When I listen to the music, I can close my eyes and find an espresso in one hand and Le Figaro in the other while I munch a crusty bagette. I am so ready for this trip to happen!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's the "live culture" thing I expect. It's more dynamic and filled with authentic French spirit...and of course, ambience helps!
"Every little breeze seems to whisper, Louise!" (Who sang that?)

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maurice Chevalier, MOI!

Kate

9:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Google confirms that Kate is correct! I'm sure Kate didn't need to Google to figure that out...

10:51 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Yesterday I was so psyched by just hearing the music, understanding a word here and there, but not the whole sense of most of the songs on the CD. I went online and printed out the words (in French) to 3 of the songs and now they have a greater meaning. I'm always in a quandry as to whether it's the music or the words that make me love a song.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home