Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I Too Had Braids


Mother of Invention inspired me to dig out this old photo from when I was 5 years old. Here’s what I remember about that time in my life:

– This was taken right around the time of my birthday. I was wearing one of the few store-bought dresses I had as a child. It was a blue and white stripe with a lace collar. The buttons were little white bumpy balls. I loved that dress.
– My Norwegian grandmother was visiting us at the time on one of the few forays she made outside the state of Minnesota. She braided my hair in a way my mother was never able to duplicate. She said uff-da a lot.
– That was my one and only year to take dance lessons. My class was a tap-ballet-acrobatics combo. At the end of the year, my parents asked me to choose between dance class and kindergarten – a pretty heavy choice for a 5-year-old! I chose kindergarten.
– In the picture my hands were probably in little balls because I was a nail biter back then and didn’t want the world to see.
– Life seemed so simple at 5. My big decisions were things like who I should play with that day, whether to go look for tadpoles in the stream, what new trick I might do on my swing set.

10 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Are all your childhood photos sepia? Or do you tint them for effect?

At 5, I remember there being a lot of stupid rules in school (why did I have to copy / colour sequences? Why couldn't I do my own sequence? I am not tired, I don't want a nap); I also remember children being unfair to other children.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- Most of my photos from younger years are (now faded) black and white. They seem to take on this strange background color when I take a picture of them with my digital camera -- probably because I am not a very good photographer. I can see you were quite an independent thinker at an early age. Bravo!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I remember being 5 and in Kindergarden like it was just a few years ago. My brother and I walked around our elementary school last year, and I looked in the window and recognized some things that I had long forgotten. It was really surreal.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- Yeah, I know. I have such distinct memories of things like the smell of the classrooms, definitely the smell of the white paste, the arrangement of the desks, the location of the reading circle, opening those little cartons of milk, the day my 1st grade teacher told me too much skin was showing when a wore a sunsuit that showed by belly! How do these random things get so firmly implanted in our feeble brains that can't remember what we ate for lunch yesterday?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Hey, I'm glad my "gummed up braids" story inspired you! I love your cool braids!
We used to go to he creek on our school yard and get tadpoles each spring too! It was neat to see the back legs grow first and then the front.
We had milk from pint bottles for snack in Kindergarten and it was treat to get chocolate. Now I keep pennies in them.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Fabulous picture and even better memories. Thanks for sharing! My brother and I reminisced while camping this weekend. It's nice to have someone help you with the memories.

10:11 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

This is a wonderful post Barbara and a beautiful pictures of you. It takes me down the memory lane and I remember at that age, I was both in the kindergarden and attending dancing class. I had Sailor suit with three bars on the shoulders at the balls and felt like a king:-)
'Uff da' Oh My: was my grandmathers typical expression too, but then again she was also a Norwegian.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- We never had glass milk bottles, only the paper ones where you struggle to get the "spout" to come out.

Kristin -- I wish I had a brother or a sister to talk to. As an only child, I have to keep all the memories myself.

Renny -- I thought about you when I wrote uff-da and wondered if all Norwegian grandmothers said that. She also said "ja" of course.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You're so cute. Love seeing the old pics.

I remember specific dresses, too. I can remember details about my wardrobe that surprise even me. But I wasn't happy at 5. I'll try to dig out a pic. I always looked frightened and shut down ... good looking, though.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home