Thursday, October 12, 2006

Reconnecting with an Old Friend


I had forgotten several things about PT – just how much some stretches hurt and just what a droll sense of humor my therapist had. After I told him about our upcoming trip to Provence where will be doing a lot of biking, Quentin (who is an avid biker himself) said without missing a beat, "You know that your therapy would be most effective if your therapist was following along behind." As right as he might be, GEHA will already be screaming after 12 office visits!

It was so nice to come into his new office in Ballston and write "former patient" in the spot on the form that asks how you found the office. I recounted to Quentin that I was never in better shape than when I was seeing him, taking yoga and pilates classes, and getting a massage each week. In fact I was so good by the end of the allotted number of visits that Quentin graduated me, said he couldn’t do much more for me.

He was quick to pick up on the things Dr. Speigel had noted on the medical order. Today was a day of getting baseline measurements with not too much painful manipulation and stretching. By the end of the session, he had formulated a tentative plan and given me home exercises to accompany the therapy.

When I mentioned AlwaysWrite, whom I had referred to Quentin with a knee problem, his face lit up as he said, "You know she wrote about me!" Yes, I did know that and I did realize that she had slightly exaggerated a few things, as we Bloggers sometimes do. She had given him her Blog address and he is a faithful reader.

As he was bracing against my right leg to try to relax my tight hamstring, I broached the subject of the "dream team" that I’m trying to put together. He immediately signed on before even hearing that I was more than willing to pay for his time. He simply said, "Are you bringing the snacks?"

After scheduling my next appointment and before walking out the door, I wrote "looking2live.blogspot.com" on the back of an appointment card and handed it to Quentin. I’ll be back for round #2 on Friday AM before I leave for the airport.

An update on the team: Reya, Leyla, and Quentin are now in. Quentin said, "I’m sure Chris will do it." These are people who really understand the role of a healer and are willing to try a new approach. I’m getting so excited!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

There you go! I knew it sounded doable! Good luck with that and have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

4:15 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

HAVE A GREAT TRIP! IF YOU NEED A CHEF/INTERPRETER TO TAG ALONG WITH YOUR ENTOURAGE, I VOLUNTEER!
"JE FERAIS RECOOMEND SEULEMENT LE PLUS BEAU POUR VOUS VOTRE MARI"
tHE DATE MUST BE GETTING CLOSE, NO?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

You could make some nice snackie poos and maybe they will go easy on the bill.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm so excited for you! This is really coming together. Great idea and fantastic follow through.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

It'll be great for you, of course, but all of us will benefit from this. It's true integrative medicine. I am jazzed!!

Hey bon voyage!! Have a blast.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tomorrow's the day! Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. I'll have to hope for an Internet connection in the petite village of Lourmarin. The local hotel has told us we are welcome to camp out in their lobby and use free wi-fi, so it shouldn't be a problem. I promise to inundate you with the details of our trip. Au revoir!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home