Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sur le Pont

La pluie came to Provence late yesterday. There was a sound and light show for much of the night as the thunder bounced off the stones of the old buildings of Lourmarin.

We had saved our wine-tasting trip for a rainy day like today. So while the clouds moved on, we sipped the finest of the Cotes-du-Rhone in the wine museum of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Not usually drinking before lunch, I was feeling no pain after tasting #4.

Lunch proved to be our first French eating disappointment. The pizza reine tasted like Chef Boy-ar-dee and the croque monsieur was in bad need of a George Foreman grill.

As the sun started to peak out, we reached Avignon. Our afternoon walking tour included a small private museum with a few original impressionist paintings, numerous shops for clothing and sweets, the only synagogue in Avignon, and of course the famous bridge which ends mid-river.

This is marzipan of every variety possible!

Fashion knows no limit in France. Everything is displayed so beautifully.

This is the rabbi of the synagogue, who gave us a tour. His office is in the 12th century part of the building. The lighted part over his head is an old matzoh oven, which is no longer in use.

A parting view of Avignon from the famous bridge.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Such a lovely day, even in the rain (trade you my marzipan for your meringue :)

So happy to be tagging along on your trip!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Are those marzipan fruit life size? I love marzipan, but eating that much would make me pretty ill.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'll take meringues any day over marzipan, even if they are beautiful. I'm glad you're along also!

Richard -- Yes they are real fruit size and yes I agree they would probably make me sick too, but lovely!

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made some marzipan once. No one ate it. But I had fun making the fruits and painting them.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Why does everything look better there than here?! Even fresh food and sweets! And of course fashion! Tell me what you bought. Is it tres expensive mais tres chic?!! Je pense que ce la!
(C'est correct?)!!!!(been awhile since Gr. 13 French!)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- I can't imagine making marzipan.

MOI -- I do a lot more looking than I do buying. It is so much fun just to look. I have bought a few things, though. I have decided to send everyone who comments on my trip a little souvenir upon my return. You will just have to send me your mailing address via e-mail.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home