Monday, November 06, 2006

My Uncommon Cold

As we played through our Bach sonata, I occasionally stopped to catch the drip from my nose or to cough. Deborah, my musical partner and doctor, said at one point, "Are you alright?" To which I responded, "I think I’m just allergic to the fall leaves. It can’t be a cold because I never had a sore throat." I jokingly added, "If it’s not better in 3 days, I’ll contact my doctor."

But as we sat down to eat dinner together later, my nose had started to run in torrents to the point where she offered me fresh Kleenex and pronounced, "You.definitely.have.a.cold." She even asked me if I needed a written excuse to miss work.

I probably had picked up something on the flight home. I admit to having felt tired and not my usual self since getting back, but I had just attributed it to jetlag.

Meanwhile, my husband, who had the same symptoms as I did, had taken Airborne and was totally fine. I always thought that was just a waste of money, but maybe it really works. Now I’m wondering why I didn’t jump for my little bottle of ImmuneUp, that wonderful Mikael Zayat concoction of essential oils which in past years has helped me ward off URI’s. I suppose because I never thought I was sick.

When I got home I started feeling guilty for exposing Deborah and her husband to whatever variation on a virus I actually have. Then I realized, she sees sick people for a living – people a lot sicker than I am, so why in the world should I feel guilty?

No sooner had I sent her an apologetic e-mail, but she responded to say how much she had enjoyed playing together again and told me to rest up and get well.

This is definitely not my usual cold, which progresses through multiple predictable stages, but my nose is still running and I have an occasional cough or sneeze. Maybe my body is on strike because I didn’t give it proper time to recuperate. I’ll probably never know, but I’m sure whatever it is will be gone in a couple of days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I've been nursing one too since last Thurs. and feel really run down. Haven't even done any exercise since last Wed. and have just had a blowing-nose-fest! I hate getting off track!

Hope you're better!

1:15 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Remember; guilt doesn't do any good:-)
I wish you a quick recover and in mean time enjoy the lovely music!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Hope you recover quickly.

Over the last few years, I have noticed that colds have been hitting me differently (usually not as severely) as in the past. Often they are more inconveniences than drawn out miseries.

Over the past 10 days or so, I had been having an ache in my chest (right side, low), just inside the rib cage. It is now mostly gone. I also had a few days where for moments, things just didn't taste right.

I'm putting it down to my body finally having had anough colds that I am better able to fight them off. Or, maybe colds aren't what they used to be.

My favourite rememedy for a cold: keep a hot water bottle on my chest. I reckon it stimulates blood flow, bringing in more white blood cells to figth of the infection. At any rate, it always makes me feel better.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Feel better - am sneezing in sympathy. Just took a day off from work to nurse a nasty chest cold. Must be the season.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total believer in ZIACAM and Airborne...even after a cold starts they can lessen the length of your cold. My sister is a teacher and swears by the stuff. Hang in there and feel better soon!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must really be feeling punk! No blog this morning. Take care of yourself, dear.

Hugs

K

12:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I am still feeling SICK! I'm hoping it's just a cold and not micoplasm. I can't stop coughing. Not a good sign. If I'm not better in a day or two I'll make good on my promise to go in and see my doctor! Thanks for all the get well wishes. Hope the other colds are faring better than I am...

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home