Thursday, November 30, 2006

Strange Cookies

Have you ever cooked something that just didn’t turn out at all the way you expected it to, but you didn’t know why? I made chocolate chip cookies late last night that were unlike any I had ever made before.

I had decided to make "snacks" for the first meeting of my dream team this afternoon. And chocolate chip cookies seemed like something everyone would like. My husband bought the chocolate chips at Trader Joe’s, so they weren’t my usual Nestles that has the recipe right on the package. No problem, I said, pulling down my Joy of Cooking:

½ cup butter (margarine)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup + 2 T flour

Mix all ingredients together, put spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.

Seemed easy enough and rather like the Nestle’s recipe. But after the first batch had been in the over for a couple of minutes, I looked in to see what looked like a lava flow that had run into some chocolate chips.

It was late so I divided the result into shapes that looked like cookies, but they were so thin they were more like chocolate chip cookie bark!

As I woke up this morning, I had the explanation: I had used twice as much margarine as the recipe called for. Of course they were thin!

I quickly whipped up a new batch and this time they looked like my favorite cookies.

But I didn’t throw the original batch out. This is the beginning of a holiday feeding frenzy at my office, so I contributed high-calorie cookie bark which has all managed to disappear.

It’s funny how a night of sleep can solve so many problems...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thought when I saw the plate with the "flat" cookies was: too much butter. This happened to me once so I recognized the symptoms. :-))

Good move on taking them to work...it's not that they taste bad; it's simply that they are NOT what you intended.

Hope all is going well with your team meeting.

K

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I made cookies once using a low-fat butter substitute. I was young. And naive. The only person who liked them was a girl with a cold. She stopped liking them once she felt better (and could taste again).

I'm impressed that you got up and made another batch! How early do you rise?!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Like Kate, my first reaction was also too much butter (or margarine, though I prefer butter).

6:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- The team meeting was a huge success. It's just the beginning of a very big thing.

Kristin -- I got up at 5:45. The cookies were done before 6:30 and I wa at work by 8:00. This is a lesson to follow the recipe COMPLETELY!

Richard -- Not sure why that was not apparent last night, even before I baked them.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Last Christmas, I made ginger snaps for my neighbour from her mom's recipe to honour her as she had passed away. I forgot the egg and they turned out flat and chewier. They all said they liked them better than Oma's! Comic relief can be a good thing!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Last Christmas, I made ginger snaps for my neighbour from her mom's recipe to honour her as she had passed away. I forgot the egg and they turned out flat and chewier. They all said they liked them better than Oma's! Comic relief can be a good thing!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens! I've done that too!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home