Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Season of Miracles

As I was walking back to my car last night from the Temple Micah Hanukkah extravaganza, I was alone without a hand to hold or an arm to hold onto. Suddenly I realized that I was walking differently. My right foot was working almost like my left one instead of being so frozen at the ankle, the real source of my walking problems. It was just a little change, but one that was noticeable and exhilarating.

I had seen Quentin for PT yesterday morning. He had taken the measurements necessary to keep the insurance dogs at bay. I was surprised to hear him say how much the ankle had changed, but never thought about it again until last night. He worked a lot on my ankle as usual and on stretching out my right hamstring, which never allows my right leg to fully extend as I take a step. We worked on a particular aspect of my gait that tends to swing my hips to the right. He suggested something for Chris, my pilates teacher and another one of my “dream team” members, to try in an effort to fix that piece. And then there was that cranial-sacral acupuncture session on Thursday.

Who knows? Maybe it’s these things in combination that are finally starting to show results. That was the whole idea, wasn’t it?

This little revelation last night reminded me of when I got glasses for the first time and said, “Oh-my-God! This is what the world really looks like.” Instead last night I found myself saying, “Oh-my-God! This is what walking should feel like.” I’m sure I’m back to the old way of walking today, but it was a glimpse of what might be possible and I love it!

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles. What a gift!

5 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Barbara what a WONDERFUL Hanukkah gift! Wow!! When you put your mind to something, nothing will ever stop you. Wow. A salute to your fabulous P.T. but a deep bow to you. You are mighty.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I am so glad that everyone involved (mostly you!) are taking steps in the right direction so to speak! Hurrah for the Dream Team! "To Dream the Impossible Dream..."

3:40 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Happy Haukkah - what a wonderful gift!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super!!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home