Saturday, December 02, 2006

Three No Trump

I had thought we were going to play Scrabble after dinner tonight. But when someone suggested bridge, I reluctantly agreed, clearly stating that I really suck at bridge and that if my partner yelled at me I would quit. So forewarned, Neal offered to be my partner.

Despite my interest in mathematical things of all sorts, I am just not interested in counting cards and paying attention to the degree you have to in order to be really good at bridge. I can do it if I really try hard, but usually I just don’t care enough. Invariably after about 10 hands, my eyes start to glaze over and I begin yawning interminably.

But tonight Lady Luck was dealing my cards. There was not one hand where I had to pass. I would pick up my cards and see faces and aces every hand. And even when I didn’t get the contract, I had a strong enough hand to support my partner.

Deborah seldom had over 6 points, so she and David were playing a lot of defense. But when your opponents have all the kings and aces as Neal and I often did, no defense is adequate.

It’s after a night like this that I say “Maybe I could learn to really like this game.” But then I remember the games where I have been the one getting lousy cards all night and how discouraging it is.

I’m much more confident of my ability when it comes to Scrabble even though there is still a huge element of luck in terms of what tiles you draw. But I must admit that playing bridge is fun when you are the one taking the tricks.

What’s your game?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess because I grew up in a large extended family and then had four children of my own, our card games tended to be on the wild side. I remember one game called Spoons, where everyone grabbed for a spoon from a clutch of them in the middle of the table when a certain card was laid down (there was always one spoon less than the number of players). A melee always ensued - mostly we broke fingernails, but once we broke the rickety card table we were using. I am more sedate now :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I don't think I've ever played Spoons. But actually I'm not really a very gamey person. Whereas my husband's idea of the perfect evening would be "musical games" where every half hour you moved to a new game! I'll bet they played this in his family.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Too bad there wasn't some gambling involved in last night's game! You could have won another trip to Provence!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I would play cards all night long if another trip to Provence was in the stakes. But no such prize last night...

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bid Whist, alot like bridge but parners hand is blind, which increases yelling factor.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

As a kid, played Fish, Crazy Eights, Snap, Old Maid..progressed to Hearts, Cribbage,Euchre, Rummy, Canasta,Rumoli (sp?). That's about it! It's mostly in the summer as a vacation game.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Euchre. I LOVE euchre but hardly anyone knows it. Scrabble rocks. And Boggle. And pretty much anything else that I can convince others to play. I really should reinstitute game night...

12:26 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Ever heard of 500? Its like bridge for dummies or Spades for geniuses...other than that its Badminton for me.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home