Monday, January 08, 2007

And the Winner Is


In its 17th annual words of the year vote, the American Dialect Society voted “plutoed” as the word of the year, in a run-off against "climate canary". To pluto is to demote or devalue someone or something, as happened to the former planet Pluto when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto no longer met its definition of a planet.

Click here to read more. Some of the contending words are hilarious!

Have you plutoed anyone recently?

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I am not fond of the word.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was interesting!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm not sure if I've plutoed anyone recently. I'm going to have think about that. And climate canary. Very interesting.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I hadn't heard the word used as a verb and no, I don't think I have plutoed anyone, unless you count my cat after she barfed up ribbon and twist ties on the carpet!!
I'm such a harsh pet owner..she was plutoed to the Second Cutest feline in my 2-cat house!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I wasn't actually serious about urging you to incorporate PLUTO in your vocabulary, other than to mention the poor demoted planet by that name.

MOI -- I think you found the intended humor in this post!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yeah, you can always count on me to do this with a sprinkle of the "silly factor" in my personality! Fun with words!

HA! The word verif. was nerdo!! So me!

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home