Thursday, January 04, 2007

Please Take It Back

I am probably one of the few people to be issued a Blackberry and then later turn it back in. This is actually consistent with my reluctance to embrace new technology.

About 6 months ago, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Blackberry (at no cost to me). I had watched my young boss deftly answer e-mail messages while in meetings. I told myself that I too could be this connected.

So I got the little BB late last summer. I learned how to do the basics: read my mail, send a message, make a phone call. I could tell there was a whole world of functionality I wasn't touching.

I started taking my BB to meetings, but found it annoying every time it beeped at me. More and more it stayed on my desk where it could continue to beep even if I wasn't there.

I started to feel somewhat guilty when my newest boss suggested I carry my BB with me in off-hours when I was acting for her. This would mean having it in my pocket at Whole Foods or worse yet taking it with me when I was getting a massage!

Then came the missing laptop scandal, when my agency admitted to losing a number of them. BB's were to be included in the new and improved inventory system. I was admonished not to leave my BB on my desk for fear that it might be STOLEN.

That was it! I decided to retreat to my simple unelectronic life and just give it back. I completed an unbelievable amount of paperwork to relinquish control of my BB.

I haven't experienced any longings for the little thing or feelings of inadequacy since it went away.

Ironically, I got a call last week regarding not one but TWO Blackberries assigned to me. YIKES! I said to myself. How could this be? Is it really so hard to give something back?

10 Comments:

Blogger Blue Eyes said...

About 3 months ago, I sold out and got a blackberry as well. It's sort of handy, but I keep a very low profile with my coworkers that I even have one at all - about six people in my office know. I don't want to create the perception that I'm "in touch". Whenever a new person finds out, they always ask "How come I never knew you had one?" and my answer is always "I don't believe in being rude, so I don't check it while I'm talking to people or in meetings".

Sorry to hear that you've got two now. Good luck getting rid of them, they are tricky little buggers

1:28 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I barely even carry my phone. I cannot imagine what I'd do with a Blackberry. Nobody needs to talk to me that badly.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

I have a Treo, not a Blackberry, but it's the same concept. I don't like being so accessible either, so I rarely answer, but I'm addicted to the easy texting. I'm always meeting up with different groups and it's a feature I'd be hard pressed to do without. Thank goodness for voicemail.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you nailed several reasons why the Crackberry isn't suitable or desirable for everyone, and I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to embrace new technology. When you write that your boss "deftly" answers emails during meetings, you could substitute "rudely" for deftly. A business colleague did this to me during lunch recently, and I have no plans ever to ask this person to lunch again. Finally, one more reason why I don't use a Crackberry -- the buttons are too small for my fingers.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kimmmmm -- You realize I have 2 only on paper! That's the problem. I'm afraid when I go to retire they will say, "Now hand over those 2 BB's"...

Kristin -- I carry my phone never turned on. I only use it when I need to call someone. A great annoyance to many people.

Pagan -- Another sign that you are considerably younger than I am: Texting is just so unnatural to me. I much prefer to talk to someone in person or on the phone.

Matt -- I thought I was the only one whose fingers seemed too big for the keys. It was all I could do to key in my password correctly!You make me feel like not such a retard!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Aside from my Internet connection (only in Montreal, not Ottawa), I am a very unconnected person. I don't even own a cell phone - I have no use for it.

Besides, I have enough trouble keeping up with the blogs to have try and manage any other forms fo electronic communication (ok, ok, I do admit to indulging in e-mails - though it has killed letter writing for me. sigh.)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you! When I arrived at my new job last month, they offered me a blackberry and I (hopefully) politely declined. My time spent emailing and internetting already feels a little unhealthy, I don't need it while I'm walking down the street. I am prone enough to tripping on the cracks when they have my full attention!

Good luck in remaining crackberry free!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- You just reminded me of how much I miss writing letters -- the real kind that you mail in envelopes with stamps on them. We seldom put photos in albums any longer. As wonderful as the electronics are, there are some things I miss...

Wendy -- Like you I can't imagine "multi-processing" while trying to miss the cracks in the sidewalk.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

We got our first cell phone last Christmas. This huge device with no bells or whistles sat in the box for several months until we juiced it up and put it in the car where it stays for emergencies mostly. I have used it twice!

I don't embrace techy stuff at all as you know! I got a memory stick from my niece and I had no idea what it was and still don't know how I do whatever I'm supposed to do! Haven't a clue how people load up i-pods or mp3's and really don't know what they are. You tube totally escapes me as does how to post them with videos and songs!

I just barely know how to blog the basics and am really glad there's no paper work with that!

Behind the times to the max...and that's okay since it's stress me out trying to learn all that!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- You may be more in the technological dark ages than I am!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home