Friday, January 05, 2007

Another Year Older

Happy birthday to me! I can't even conceive of 58 candles on a cake.

There are many days when I feel my age and then some. But most of the time I am simply happy to be alive and well. Getting older has this funny way of making you appreciate your existence.

I was greeted at the crack of dawn by a thoughtful card and the only present I had requested: a new CD to play while I exercise. I had played my Leonard Cohen CD until it was literally worn out. My husband is a genius at making great mixes.

I grabbed the CD (which turned out to actually be 2 CDs) as I headed out the door to my – groan – 7:00 AM PT appointment with Quentin, who is always game to try new music. He jokingly said he would have to prescribe some new home exercises, now that I had 2 hours worth of music with a beat. It was so much fun to hear the beginning of each song and then figure out why my husband had chosen it. It was sort of like getting a birthday present in small bites. The music was interesting enough to distract me as my ankle and my hamstrings competed for my attention.

I'm looking forward to spending lots of time with people I love this weekend. That's about the best birthday present anyone could receive!

I'm also wishing an especially happy birthday to FL, my childhood friend, who was born the same day I was. She is just as much a Capricorn as I am. We are soulmates!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy birthday!

- B

11:54 AM  
Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

Happy Birthday!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Happy birthday Barbara!

Any chance you might not be feeling well and have to go home early? (hint, hint)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays.

1:13 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Happy Birthday and here's to a great new year. :)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Leonard Cohen to get pumped up? You must be self-motivated!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Barbara!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

(is that chocolate cake i see there? lol)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Matt -- I actually love Leonard Cohen, although I must admit that some of the slower songs make it difficult to keep up any kind of pace on the elliptical machine.

Pauline -- Given that I haven't yet seen / eaten my birthday cake, I don't know what it will be. But everyone knows chocolate is my favorite, so it wouldn't surprise me.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Barbara! Hope you have a wonderful day :-)

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this earlier, but new blogger won't let me comment!

Happy Birthday! What's on the CD?!?

-Wendy

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Saw Her Standing There, Elton John and John Lennon
Honky Tonk Woman, Rolling Stones
Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison
Cute As a Bug,Lyle Lovett
My Old Man, David Mallett
Good Noise, John Gorka
Come When I Call You, The Klezmatics
Mermaid's Avenue, The Klezmatics
Mi Chamocha, David Shneyer
She'halev Bocheh, Sarit hadad
Victory, Bond
Walking on Broken Glass, Annie Lennox
Gone At Last, Paul Simon
Stand by Me,Ben E. King
Old Time Rock & Roll, Bob Seger
Lookin Out My Back Door. Credence Clearwater Revival
Club At The End Of The Street Elton John
Suspicious Minds, Elvis Presley
Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin
I Will Walk With You,John Fogerty
Walking In Memphis,Marc Cohn
Long May You Run, Neil Young
Not Fade Away, Rolling Stones
Let's Have a Ball, Ry Cooder
Brown Eyed Girl, 8 Van Morrison
Old Time Rock And Roll, Bob Segar
Layla, Eric Clapton
San Francisco Bay Blues, Eric Clapton
Roadie Song,Jackson Browne -
late night radio, john denver
As I Lay Me Down, Sophie B. Hawkins
Down the Road, Marcia Ball

6:04 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I had you pegged for a "Turtle Island String Quartet" girl..
Have a happy-apy-apy Birthday, babe,and let there be Chocolate.
I play Cohen at work...it drives the Tech nuts..."oh,Yeah"

10:30 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What a wonderful present. David loves you so much!!

Happiest 58! I'm so glad you were born and that you're here to entertain us nearly every day. Bravo!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Happy Belated -by-One day Birthday, Barbara! O h, well I can never keep current...you post too promptly!
I'm right behind you having turned 53 on the 22nd, also a Cap.

I love all the music on this playlist! Clapton, Elton John!

Hope you had a delicious chocolate cake!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home