Friday, January 19, 2007

Opting to See Clearly


When it gets cold enough to freeze, I have this nasty habit of driving away before the windows have cleared, using a combination of the defroster revved up to HIGH and the windshield wipers, with plenty of squirts of windshield washer fluid in an attempt to be able to see. The problem is that I never leave enough time to do this the proper way, so it’s always a crapshoot as to whether I can really see by the time I make it out of the neighborhood and onto a main road.

Today was just such a day. I had barely enough time to get to my 7:00 PT appointment and there was a light frost on the windows. However, as I pulled onto Columbia Pike and hoped to be able to see well once again, my vision was still quite blurred. A hand to my face made me suddenly realize that I had forgotten to put on my glasses. Holy shit! I can’t remember ever in my life walking out of the house without my glasses and I am really fairly blind without them. I must be more preoccupied about next week’s test than I had thought.

At 6:45 AM sunglasses will hardly do, so my big dilemma was whether to drive blind to my PT appointment or whether to turn around and go home to get my glasses. There was actually no question as to the only thing to do, as I took the first right and headed home. I quickly found the glasses exactly where I had taken them off and headed out once again. I gave Quentin’s office a call to let them know I would be late, sheepishly admitting the reason.

When I arrived only 10 minutes late, someone else was already on the therapy table and another person was waiting for her turn. Could 10 minutes have really made this much difference?

Quentin, who is a master at juggling people while making us all feel like we are the center of attention, conducted a 3-ring circus today, inflicting sufficient pain to make sure we all got our money’s worth. I found myself more focused on the Starbucks latte I intended to buy afterwards as a reward for the helluva beginning to my day.

I really must deal with this defrosting thing, but coming from Florida, frankly I have never had time for the demands of cold weather. In the meantime, I will just concentrate on remembering to leave home with my glasses ON!

4 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

I for one would never have thought you to be one to throw caution to the wind and drive with frosty windows...tsk-tsk Mrs. Diskin..tsk-tsk

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do the same thing with the windows. It's a good thing I don't drive regularly!

I remember trying to focus my camera once, to take a picture, and I couldn't figure out why it was so blurry. Yeah. I wasn't wearing my contacts.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to see me go in a tailspin? Hide my glasses!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I don't see well at all, having no peripheral so I can never take off with a frosted windshield. I just have to leave a whole lot earlier...but I'm usually a bit late since I always forget!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home