Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Disdain for Sleeping Alone

I just couldn’t bear the thought of sleeping alone in my husband’s absence. So I hooked up with a guy I’ve known for about 8 years. He’s blond and a little overweight, but very affectionate. He keeps losing his hair, but he still seems to have plenty left. We didn’t spend a lot of time talking. It seemed all he was interested in doing was licking my face, my ears with his long tongue. How totally sexy! He stayed all night, snuggling close to keep me warm.

Before you are convinced that I am having some sordid affair in my husband’s absence, I must confess that this stand-in sleeping companion was none other than Jake, my big yellow dog. He rarely gets beyond the gate that separates the kitchen from the rest of the house. His ears immediately perked up when I said, “Would you like to sleep upstairs tonight and keep me company?”

He was on his best behavior, not even raiding the trash cans, in exchange for his freedom to go upstairs. He wiggled around for about 5 minutes and then settled in for the night, never once even jumping off the bed. He did think it was time to get up when I got up for my nightly trip to the bathroom around 3 AM, but then he quieted down when I came back to bed.

I slept on my husband’s side of the bed and made it clear to Jake that he was to stay on my side since my husband will have a fit if there are dog hairs on his part of the bed. That was fine with Jake.

The one big difference between my husband and Jake was when the alarm went off this morning, Jake was up and read to go. My husband has a rather hard time dragging himself out of bed in the morning.

Jake has always had a mind of his own and a penchant for being able to escape from any situation. I imagine he will seem like an angel in comparison to Marley, the dog in the book I’m about to read.

So my dilemma of sleeping alone has been solved. It’s not quite like having a husband, but it’s certainly better than being the only body in a king size bed!


I think you can actually see Jake's long tongue out over his nose in this picture. Isn't he a cutie?

11 Comments:

Blogger Pagan Marbury said...

I sleep with my two dogs every night- it's one of life's great pleasures. Your dog sounds wonderful.

6:19 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I have to say that I sleep with my two dogs jsut about every night. A black lab/collie mix and the most adorable welsh corgie you would ever want to see-The Queen would be so proud (and, no I'm not talking about my gay friend, Travis).
Be honest, don't you think dogs are better to have around than men most of the time?

BTW_ I love Anais Nin- the quote is fabulous.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I had to laugh when I read that the big difference between Jake and your husband was their way of waking up. My daughter's cat is living with me while she is in grad school. He has been sleeping with me during the cold snap and tonight he let me hold him while I danced around my tiny living room. Having an animal in the house is one of life's pleasures.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. Between you and me, when Michelle is out of town I do the same thing with our usually banished-from-the-bedroom cats (including the sleeping on her side of the bed to avoid incriminating fur).

10:24 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

What a darling!!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

He is pretty! Our king sized bed is full of bodies every night. At least 4, sometimes 10. Don't tell anybody! It's nice to wake up in the morning with all that love!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It's nice to see just how many animal lovers there are out there. There still are people who would be totally grossed out at the idea of sharing your bed with a dog or cat (or 10 of them?), but animal warmth is so nice on a cold winter night!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez - that's the one big difference. how totally insulting to your hubby, who now feels he's been replaced by a dog. you've got some explaining to do when he gets home.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- This is not an X-rated Blog, so I couldn't go into the real differences! :-)

Believe me, Jake will resume his place downstairs when you get home!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Jake is such a sweetie! How is he doing anyway? I invite my cats in to sleep with me when My husband's away too, but they're a lot smaller and we still have a double!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Jake would tell you he's doing just FINE. He will be somewhat disappointed to find out he is getting kicked back downstairs tonight because my husband comes home from Detroit.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home