Thursday, March 22, 2007

Oh where oh where have my little dogs gone?

Finding the gate unlatched when I open the side door to bring in the dogs always leaves me with a sick feeling. Good God, they’ve escaped again!

It happened just before 7:00 AM today, just as I was about to leave for work. This wasn’t the first time. Jake is the Houdini, who figures out how to get the gate open. We have taken to using a secondary lock on the latch, just because he is so good. But apparently it wasn’t on this morning.

In the past they have gone as a pair in every conceivable direction, and they never come home of their own accord. Nice people normally find them and then call the number on their tags or take them to a local shelter or even bring them home. It usually takes just a couple of hours. But today it has been 8 hours and we haven’t yet received a phone call.

I’ve called all 3 local animal welfare groups – Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax – carefully describing the dogs, their collars, their ages, their color, their weight and asking them to call me immediately if they show up. But so far no calls.

Dylan is so old and blind at 13 that I really worry about him. I keep imagining him collapsed in a small black pile somewhere in the woods. His hips are bad and his stamina left long ago.

Jake on the other hand is in much better shape and could run for quite a while before getting tired. In the past he has never left Dylan. I picture him hovering over Dylan and urging him to get up and run.

Then my thoughts wander to dogs who have tangled with cars and then I just have to stop thinking. My dogs are not street smart because they are never off leash.

Missing dogs make my work problems pale in comparison. The only thing that might be worse would be missing children.

Every time the phone rings, I am so hopeful. But so far there are no calls from nice strangers.

My heart is aching for those guys to come back. Oh, please....

(The above picture is not my dog but rather a lookalike for Jake, so don't try calling...)

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Eyesight notwithstanding, dogs have an incredible sense of smell and can find their way back home. Are you home though? You need to be home so when they arrive back you will be there. And you can't yell at them, b/c then if they run again, they won't come home b/c they won't want to get yelled at.

I found Thora in Macon Georgia when I was living in Rockville, MD. All it takes is the kindness of some strangers....hope and pray.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

I hope you get your dogs back safely!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- I promise not to yell at them. I will even give them extra dog biscuits if they return. I am doing a lot of hoping and praying.

GoldenSilence -- I hope so too. It would be such a relief just to know they were OK.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

NEW FLASH! Jake is home, but no Dylan. We're going to take him out on a leash and hope he can lead us to Dylan. Hope springs eternal...

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just reading this leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach. did you find dylan? --erika

6:59 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Waiting, holding my breath - knowing you'll post to let us know, but still...

Pets become such an itegral part of our lives it is awful to imagine them lost or hurt. Keeping my fingers crossed.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Am so sorry to hear this..........have everything crossed in hopes that Dylan is home soon.

Hugs,

Kate

7:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

We walked for what seemed like miles, letting Jake lead the way. Finally after he crossed a place where a stream ran over a breakwater (and I nearly fell on my ass crossing in barefeet), he seemed to lose the scent. I fear that Dylan could have slipped into the deep water on the other side, but he was not in evidence. Then we walked home and Jake collapsed in exhaustion. We're all a little befuddled and unsure of what to do next. I fear that Dylan is gone forever. Please keep thinking about him though.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

So good to hear about Jake's homecoming. Will also be glad to hear when Dylan comes back.

11:48 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Spencer and I have our paws and fingers crossed for Dylan's return.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I hope they find their way safely home.

It is pretty strange, dogs usually return (at least mine did) when they were hungry.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I worry about my cats every time I let them out, especially after dark.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home