Monday, March 19, 2007

Piles and Piles of It


Having young children and dogs has this odd effect of making you view poop differently. In the first half of my life I felt slightly ill at the sight or smell of poop of any sort, but the kids and the dogs in combination with a declining sense of smell have rendered me fairly insensitive to one of the facts of life.

In this vein, I set out yesterday with large shopping bags and yellow latex gloves to rid the back yard of dog poop. Let’s see – 8 months of 2 dogs even going once a day would be nearly 500 piles of poop. Some had probably managed to decompose into the yard, but the back yard was still a veritable mine field of dog poop.

So for a good hour – long enough to make my back ache – I bent over repeatedly to pick up each and every one of those little brown turds left behind by my two faithful companions who have never mastered the art of going down to the woods, preferring instead to squat on the grass. Even as I scooped, Jake came by to show me just how it all got there.

I finished the clean-up with 2 large bags heavy to the point of almost breaking. I calculate at least 25 pounds of dog poop.

I just hope the garbage man doesn’t look too closely at what’s in our big blue trashcan this week. He may not have too look – his nose may give it away!

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I had a dog, I have kids, I even clean up after myself, but I am not really any more inured against poop for all that.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You could bag it and sell it as fertilizer for gardens!

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOI - my thought was just let it decompose and fertilize the grass. BTW, our dogs' poop does not smell. Jake and Dylan are insulted. Hopefully, they don't read your blog.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home