Friday, March 16, 2007

About a Boat


Some people remember the greatest details of their dreams. I have never had that ability. I’m lucky even to remember who was in a dream. BUT, when I meditate I sometimes go into this dream-like state in which I am conscious and amazing fantasies play out in vivid color and detail. I have no trouble remembering such moments, which are probably just that.

Wednesday night’s sit once again invoked the image of a boat. It was just a little rowboat. I was in the boat and I think my husband was too, although he didn’t figure heavily into this dream. The odd thing about my little boat was that it was surrounded by a veritable sea of life preservers. It would have been impossible to fall overboard without touching half a dozen of them. WHEW! I was safe.

My little boat was moving slowly away from the shore, not powered by the oars that usually move a rowboat, but it was instead being towed by a couple of dolphins who swam out front with their bottle noses up in the air carrying ropes from the boat. I looked off on the far horizon and saw that the red buoy was still there in the distance but that we were moving in the opposite direction.

Then I glanced at the shore to find a whole cast of characters I knew only too well. There was Reya doing a little shamanic dance. Deborah was playing her bass and this time it was no longer a minor key. Bill and Kris were trying to find their own boat so they could come with us. Linda and Michael were working a deal with Frequent Flyer miles and said they would meet us there.

But where was THERE? The destination wasn’t even important. The image of the moment was all that mattered. The feelings of safety and love of friends and family and utter contentment were the perfect accompaniment for a little rowboat slowly going out to sea.

Breathe in. Breathe out. And do it again and again and again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

A dream of safety, love and contentment sounds perfectly wonderful.

I'm such a shallow sleeper; I dream quite literally of the things in my life and environmental factors, sounds, smells, stress all factor into my rather mundane dreams.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm sure I dream of those same things. I just never seem to remember when I wake up. I love the fantasy aspect of dreams that allows us to bend reality in ways it would never go.

2:24 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tzu

4:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Maybe this means I am finally going to learn the art of relaxation. Now that would be a major accomplishment!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, wish I had a bigger part, but maybe in your next production :-) I'm guessing the 2 dolphins represent Jake and Dylan.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- I hadn't thought about the dolphins in that way. Yes, maybe, but then maybe they are our children, who were always champion swimmers. If I ever had to be in water, it is Daniel I want to hold onto. He has always been my salvation when snorkeling! I think Jake and Dylan are probably in the boat with us. You know how lazy they are these days.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I had thought they might be Daniel and Rachel - our DT "dolphins". Although, our dogs are good swimmers.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Your lifeboat called, "Retirement"!!! Everyone wishing you well as you are buoyed up with happiness and relief!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- I'm afraid our dogs would only be good swimmers if there was a Kong out in front of Jake's nose and a dog biscuit in front of Dylan's. They are not exactly naturals at it. Remember when Dylan almost drowned in the creek when he was little?

MOI -- Yeah, I like the sound of "lifeboat"!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home