Sunday, April 08, 2007

Thoughts about an Exit Letter

I find myself mentally writing and polishing the following letter to my boss, which I will probably never send. But some days the temptation is great.

Dear _____,

As I go out the door for the last time, I can say with certainty that in just 6 months you have earned the distinction of being my worst boss in 36 years. I had only one other that even came close, and fortunately most of my bosses valued me as an employee.

I hope you have learned something from our brief encounter. I hope you have learned to lend your ear to those who work for you, as opposed to people in other divisions with whom your loyalty seems to lie for some odd reason.

If you haven’t learned this lesson, the program we have all worked so hard to create will certainly fail and you will be largely responsible for its failure.

I hope that some day I will remember you only as the person who helped me retire two years earlier than I had planned. I hope my bitter thoughts about our time together will eventually be replaced by more pleasant memories of my life after work.

Sincerely,
Barbara

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Okay.........consider it sent?

You are bitter with good reason; he/she has probably learned nothing from this experience and that is pitiful. Hopefully your colleagues will overcome her shortsightedness to ensure the project does not fail.

Hugs,
Kate

10:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Unfortunately my colleagues will probably be at her mercy. She wields a lot of power with people in very high places.

I must say it felt good just to write this down, even though I'm sure I won't send it.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Gives her too much power. Take your power back! Writing these kind of letters are great for you. We all want to tell people like that to, you know! But, I know you are a very gracious and wonderful lady. You will walk away with your head held up proudly for a job well done and your dignity and self respect.

You know what, once you leave you will physically feel the weight being lifted off of your shoulders. You will see other opportunities for your talents and I know you will never be bored.

I for one envy you in a sinful manner!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This letter is cathartic for you to write and 5 years from now, it'll be so over and won't matter a bit. Not totally forgotten and perhaps not forgiven, but it just won't matter.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I agree with the above - I think there's something wonderfully cathartic about writing such a letter, thinking through the situation and formalizing it in writing. From prior experience, I'd advise against sending it, but that's just me. Sometimes it's nice to be the better person.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I throw in my lot with the others commenting here. if you wrote that letter to make yourself feel better, it has. Don't send it. If you wrote it in the hopes of improving your ex boss, it won't. Dont send it. Either way, you win :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I agree with all of you and I promise not to send it... really!

10:27 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

All it needs is a little baby powder...

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were too kind to her. But, I agree - you got it off your chest. Don't send it other than through your thoughts "into the universe".

1:00 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Not to sound a sour not, but the reality is that no one is indispensable. Unless the project is an utter and total failure, no one will care if it was well executed.

In my years of working, I have found that it takes a lot for a project to crash and burn. Even when it does, the spin makes it sound as if everyone had a wonderful time singing campfire songs and toasting marshmallows.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home