Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Energy Conscious


Have you ever thought about what it is that feeds your energy? I am learning for myself that it is people. This surprises me because I always thought of myself as sitting on that fence between being an introvert and being an extrovert.

Yesterday I got up with great anticipation of playing music with my teacher Bill for the latter part of the morning. He is so patient as he deals with trying to fill in many of the musical voids that I still have after all these years of playing the piano. It is pure pleasure to hear his exquisite bass and his 9-foot grand piano, especially when I am hitting the right notes. The Schubert Arpeggione was considerably better than the last time we played it and I basked in his praise of my improvement.

But then I went home to an afternoon with no plans and a husband whose work and errands didn’t include me. Instead of picking one of the many things I could do on my own, I simply went to sleep, taking a 2-hour nap.

By that time I was already looking forward to my yoga class. I have become friends with several people in the class, having seen them at yoga for years now. We had a rousing discussion of tattoos and body piercings before we settled in to serious yoga. Our class focused on “finding the force”, a la Starwars, very appropriate as I explored my energy source. I took my friend Elizabeth home after class and she invited me to supper after next week’s class.

It’s these encounters with people, some planned and some just by chance, that feed my energy. The week ahead offers me several chances to reconnect with friends and to learn about their busy lives as we eat, drink, talk, play, or just sit together.

As an only child, I had to know how to amuse myself. But it was sometimes a lonely existence. Even today I much prefer having a warm body around to the isolation of being alone. Instead of sucking my energy out, those around me tend to stoke it, leaving me with a feeling of great satisfaction.

What is it that energizes you?

11 Comments:

Blogger GEWELS said...

I'm with you on this one too Barbara.
Now that I work at home (with just my dogs at my feet) I relish the chance to go out to all of these industry dinners and meetings that I am obligated to attend.
I try to surround myself with vivacious, positive upbeat people- Often finding myself being sapped of energy when interacting with those who are negative or down-right self-absorbed or critical.

Having said that I also love my alone time- to meditate, read, or just to be.

Nature is another energizer for me- As is my weekly riding lesson.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I have always been just a little scared of horses, having seen one try to roll over with my mother on its back when I was 8. Fortunately she figured out how to jump off and was not hurt, but it's a hard image to shake. I can imagine there is no better feeling than bouncing along on the warm body of a powerful horse who is content to be on all four legs!

Maybe after I attack my fear of deep water, I'll work on trying to learn to ride once again.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

People. Hands down. Being around other people gives me energy, but occasionally, I need time alone to recharge. Is that an oxymoron?

5:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I think that makes perfect sense. Today was my day of recharging as I read, played music (by myself), cooked, and weeded the front beds. It felt good just to pull weeds, giving me a definite purpose. But I'm ready for the world again, feeling recharged.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

Something to do, if it has an effect on somebody else so much the better. Sometimes it's an idea that charges me against my will, usually some problem or idea that won't let me rest until I act on it.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Put me out of doors in almost any kind of weather and I'm recharged for hours. I can take people in small does only but I love them all the same.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You are definitely one of the most extroverted people I've ever known. Given the chance, you'll always join another group, say yes to an invitation to do something or another with other people. Bravo for figuring that out!! Excellent.

Ideas energize me. Sometimes it's the exchange of ideas with people (one at a time is best for me), sometimes these ideas come from books or my dreams or from out of the nowhere. When ideas help me connect the dots of my very complicated world view, I get so excited.

I am such a dweeb.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

People usually do it for me, especially good friends and neat kids. But like Reya and Pauline, I also come alive when creative ideas grab me and when in the outdoors! I'm a combo, I guess. But I still gravitate to share the outdoor and idea experience with others, so I guess people are paramount.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Discovery fuels me.

That can be with or without people.

Also a good nights sleep if I am dead.

12:02 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I'm still seaching for something to energize me....right now, its not much.
You should go check my friend "Kissyface" and her post today!
(I hope my link works, my last one did not)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it's creating something and sports and (fun) exercise like bike riding that energize me.

I think I need both quiet by myself time and time with people.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home