Sunday, July 01, 2007

Betty's Birthday


Betty is having a birthday. How old? Who knows – but it’s somewhere over 80!

Betty is one of the classiest women I know. She’s been in the Temple Micah choir for over 40 years, now being the matriarch since Ted passed on. She is a perfect size 8 and wears the absolutely coolest and clothes and jewelry ever. She married a Turkish man who doesn’t like to travel, but who has obviously been quite successful in his career. Their penthouse apartment in downtown DC is like a museum, with real Picasos and other beautiful art on the walls. Betty has been a docent at the Hirschhorn for many years. She adores her 4 grandchildren.

This week I received an invitation from one of her friends for a “birthday tea honoring Betty” at “The Georgetown Club” with no address – I guess the other invitees must know where it is. The invitation also says “please bring an artistic gift and birthday wishes in rhyme”. That’s a tall order for someone who already has a lifetime of art.

My friend Kris suggested beautiful writing paper – something everyone can always use. I found just the perfect note cards at The Papery for Betty. Unfortunately I will be in Chautauqua when this gala affair takes place, so my rhyme might go something like:

*************************************************
Tea for friends
and friends for tea.
But I’m not there
as you can see.
So here’s my very fervent plea
that you will come for tea with me.

Morrison House in Old Town at a date TBD

Meanwhile, happy birthday to you, a woman who gives me the courage to grow older. You will forever be my role model when it come to aging because you do it so well!
*************************************************

I’m open to your suggestions on the “birthday wishes in rhyme”. Writing poetry was never my forte!

I wish all of you could meet Betty. She would probably make a great Blogger because she is such an interesting person.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I think that what you have is lovely.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I think your rhyme is perfect!

It's too bad you'll miss the tea, but hopefully you'll have one at Morrison House.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

To be redundant.............rhyme is perfect -- don't change it.

Wishing for tea at the Morrison House for you both.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's perfect the way it is! She sounds like I'd love her! Post pics of your tea with her.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home