Monday, June 25, 2007

A New Take on Comparative Shopping


Who would have thought that just a week after my cell phone rant I would have found a seemingly legitimate use for my little MOTORAZR in public? Today I discovered the use of the cell phone for comparative shopping.

This morning we made a long list of everything we were out of before I took off for Costco and Whole Foods and my husband headed to Trader Joe’s. I agreed to keep my cell phone on so he could report on finding Empire kosher chicken with a long pull date.

As I made my way through the Costco meat department, I heard my phone go off. Did anyone else even notice? Of course not. They were all too busy corralling small children or talking on their own cell phones in a multitude of different languages. The conversation went something like:

D: I found the chicken dated July 1. They have 32-oz. containers of blueberries for $6.99.
B: I just got the blueberries. They are cheaper here and look very fresh. I can’t find any small dog biscuits here at Costco. Can you get them at TJ’s?
D: Sure.

etc.

The little phone came in so handy for saving us money and keeping us from both buying the same thing.

Of course I ended up spending $200 at Costco for some things we probably didn’t need at all, including a bunch of utilitarian clothes. I’ve often wondered if I spend more by trying to save money there than if I just went to regular stores.

There will undoubtedly be another trip to Costco in the near future to return the clothes I bought that don’t fit (since you can’t try anything on while shopping, which I find incredibly annoying).

So now I feel like a total hypocrite about the cell phone, having sucked it up and let it ring in public. But I must say I don’t think the disturbance factor was nearly as great in the middle of Costco as it would be at an upscale sidewalk café. You do see the difference, don’t you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

While not on the level of rudeness as talking on your cell when you are out with someone, as far as I am concerned, annoying is still annoying.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It does sound awfully handy.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Make Richard feel better and put it on vibrate -- coming from your husband that should be fun. LOL

Kate

7:34 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

HAHAHAHA!!!
Difference?
What difference?
No difference.

I love it when stuff works out this way.

BTW- the vibrate function works best if you sit on it on the drive home.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- If and when we ever meet, I will make sure my phone is turned OFF!

Kristin -- I;m getting a taste of the convenience these phones provide. I just have to remember to temper it with the good manners the Japanese reputedly have in using them.

Kate -- I did think of that. There's still the problem of walking around with a phone attached to your ear, but you have to balance utility against poor manners sometimes (at least I think so.)

Gewels -- You are too funny! I can sense that it would take a lot to get your dander up (or am I wrong?)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

How did we ever cope without modern technology (asked with tongue in cheek)?

8:49 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

Yesterday I noticed, as both the initial and the connecting flight landed, that as soon as all the wheels were on the ground, people were whipping out their phones and putting them up to their ear.
How much can really happen in 2 hours?
I myself couldn't play along:
1) because I didn't have any reason to call anybody that couldn't wait for a real conversation, and
2) because I forgot and left my cell phone in the rental car.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Life used to be so much simpler, yes? There are still definitely times when I don't want any of this modern stuff anywhere near me.

Ulysses -- You'd think every passenger on every plane was a Fortune 500 executive when you watch their reaction upon landing. I'll bet most of these same people can't add a column of numbers.

Hope you get your phone back for the times when it is really needed.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My life is still simple! I've only used my phone a few times in 3 years and can't imagine me ever doing this.

I do find Costco interesting but think people spend way too much there getting stuff they wouldn't normally buy and certainly not in the bulk volume presented there.

We belonged for 1 year and hardly ever went so never joined again. I've heard the meat is good. I see people walking out with a "flat" of muffins the size of cakes!!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home