Thursday, June 21, 2007

Shopping Without Surrender


I knew exactly the sort of gift I wanted to buy for my friend Deborah’s birthday on Sunday. Something like the little crystal salt shakers that are often in the shape of animals or flowers. Something unusual. I drove to Clarendon thinking I would find it at Bowhe & Peare, a gift store near All About Jane, one of my favorite clothing stores. But B & P was no longer, instead replaced by something like a Sprint store. Why hadn’t I noticed, as many times as I have been down that street to go to Whole Foods?

I figured I would just zip over to Pentagon City to As Kindred Spirits, a similar store where I have always been able to find interesting gifts. But it was equally GONE, replaced by a store called Lucy’s that sold clothing. Moved to Tysons, so the salesperson said. Or I could also go to National Airport, where I would pay a fortune for parking.

Today I opted for Tysons, not the old mall, but Tysons Galleria. I’m not all that familiar with this shopping center, so I consulted the mall directory upon entering. No listing for As Kindred Spirits. Could it be that I was striking out altogether? But no, after asking several people, I was able to find the recently opened store. I was so happy to see the colorful merchandise, including clothing, jewelry, hand-painted silk ties, ceramics, and lots of cards. I settled on a twisted copper and silver bracelet and a small angel charm as good luck for her upcoming surgery. I love the distinctive colorful raffia ties they use.

I’m glad I doggedly tracked As Kindred Spirits to its new location. I reminded the proprietor that they are not listed on the mall directory, hoping that perhaps that might help them stay in business. I’m fussy about the gifts I buy for the people I like in my life. It’s nice to have a favorite store and to be able to find it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Impressive show of determination. I would have just popped into Arlington Gift and Garden after realizing that Bowhe & Peare was gone. I'm lazy.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I had forgotten about AG&G. Will keep it in mind for the future, because it's a long schlepp to Tysons!

7:47 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I should set up a Registry smewhere for all of ya'll...there are a few things i need...I don't own a single refrigerator magnet, and I am short on glasses, and ihave alwaysd wanted one of those toothpaste things...can they set me up a Registry at Kindred? Or that Arlington gift thing?

11:53 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I have more than a few stores that I could always buy something in!

Steve! I had 2 of those toothpaste things! Tons of glasses and a zillion cool fridge magnets!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- When is your birthday? Between MOI and me, we will fix you up!

7:56 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Sounds like a very cool store- I'll have to check it out soon.

I, too, am fussy about gifts. But, I tend to buy things tht are not needed- I think a gift should be fun, unusual and totally unnecessary. No appliances for this gal.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home