Friday, July 13, 2007

Saved by the Burgundy


This morning’s Washington Post Metro section offered the most unbelievable story about a burglar who traded crime for a glass of wine. For those of you who don’t read the Post, here’s a synopsis:

Around midnight on a recent evening, a would-be robber showed up on a patio behind a home on Capitol Hill. He put a gun to the head of 14-year-old girl and demanded everyone’s money. A very cool-headed woman named Cha-Cha said, “We’re just finishing up dinner. Would you like to join us for a glass of wine?” The masked man agreed and after tasting the wine said, “This is really good wine!” Within a few minutes, he had removed his hood, put away the gun, sampled the cheese and announced, “I think I got the wrong house. Could we just have a group hug?” They gave him a hug, refilled his glass, and he was off, leaving everyone on the patio just shaking their heads in utter amazement.

After he left and the guests collected their shattered thoughts, they locked the doors and called 911. One man expressed his surprise that the whole thing had happened in about 10 minutes and that no one had been killed or even hurt. The police came and could not turn up a single fingerprint. They did find the crystal wine glass intact in the alleyway behind the home.

There was no mention of the race or age of the burglar turned wine connoisseur. I wonder what in the world was going on in his head? Will he return to a life of crime?

5 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

This is the exchange I have with my boss at least one morning a week...I taught it to him and I got it from an old Chef I used to work for;
'Whats the word?"
"Thunderbird"
'Whats the reason?"
"Grapes in season"
'Whats the Wine?"
"Sho' is Fine!"

3:12 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

The nectar of the ... hoods?

5:05 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

This is HYSTERICAL!!! Truth is stranger than fiction.
Now I'll have a funny story to tell at the annual Bastille day winetasting tonight- perfect timing.

5:59 PM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

And the article can be viewed here

:)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Maybe I should have tried that on my boss!

Matt -- Think it would work in Southern CA?

Gewels -- Were they amused?

Avocado -- Good to hear from you! I wonder how many details I got wrong after reading it quickly over my AM coffee?! :)

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home