Friday, September 28, 2007

And the Days Grow Shorter

It’s the squirrels who are announcing the coming of Fall. Their behavior has a definite change right about now.

I have to watch my head as I walk under the hickory and oak trees in my front yard. They are up there harvesting nuts and acorns, probably stashing them away for winter. It’s duck and cover as you walk underneath and they toss down the parts they don’t want.

They race in pairs up and down the trees. It must be some sort of mating game, but they seem very serious about it as they go nose-to-tail up and down and sideways on the branches.

Squirrels have never been good at crossing streets. But somehow the onset of Fall emboldens them and they dart out never looking both ways. As the car approaches they must decide whether to continue or retreat, sometimes being frozen in the middle of the street for that instant of indecision.

I’ve never considered these wild things with their bushy tails to be the pests that many find them to be. Perhaps that’s because I haven’t had a real vegetable garden for many years. I’m sure they are probably the reason my 5 little tomato plants this year never produced a single tomato.

I’m glad the squirrels are the harbingers of Fall. Fall ranks right up there with Spring as my favorite season.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ulysses said...

I've been noticing the acorn on my ride to work in the dark in the morning. When you run over them they always make a >crack< and shhot out. It always make me think my tire's popped.
Fall is also my favorite season. The dryerase board topic this week is "My favorite thing about Autumn is:"

11:16 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

I love autumn time too. Now if we could only skip straight through to Spring ....

We don't have squirrels here but its hard to imagine anything less pesky-looking ...

5:38 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Remember when Washington Cube put cymbals out in her backyard so the falling acorns would create an arhythmic symphony? That was one of her best pieces, in my opinion anyway.

Sometimes acorns get stuck in Jake's feet, between his toes. He'll limp for awhile, look at me mournfully, Once I pop them out, he's fine again.

I made up these lyrics to the old hymn, "Bringing in the sheaves"

Acorns in the paws
Acorns in the paws
We will go a-walking
With acorns in the paws!


I LOVE FALL!!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- It's more like a PING when you run them over, often making me too think I've popped my tire.

And what did you write on the dry-erase board? I miss that office. Not that I want a new reason to come see you, but I do miss the exchange among the staff and clientele as the music plays and body parts get stretched.

Rise -- Is it true that you don't have squirrels in Ireland? What a shame!

Reya -- I had forgotten about the WC piece. I would be waking up the neighborhood right about now if there were symbols in my yard.

I'm going to be humming "Acorns int he paws" all day now!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home