Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Along for the Ride


We had a new passenger on this latest trip of ours. My husband’s new iPhone made it possible for him to do e-Mail on those long stretches of the Pennsylvania Turnpike where your only other company is scores of trucks.

The iPhone is quickly becoming his most prized possession. We went on a bike ride yesterday, leaving the door to our house wide open as we always do. Ten minutes into the ride, he exclaimed “I left my iPhone back at the house on the table. What if someone steals it?” I reminded him that any intruder would probably be much more interested in the 3 laptops that were sitting there in plain view.

But then, who knows? The iPhone is incredibly small for the capabilities it provides. To have all your music, your cell phone, your access to the Internet ANYWHERE all in something that easily fits in your pocket is pretty amazing.

It made me wonder why computer manufacturers don’t work a deal with AT&T to provide the same uber-Internet service in all computers. For me the downside to the iPhone is that you still need skinny little fingers to type anything and the screen is by default miniscule.

I’m sure we’ve just seen the tip of the technological iceberg in the iPhone. I’m sure within 5 years I could be posting this to Blogger as I sit here as a passenger with nothing better to do while I count down the miles.

I am so excited because in just a few hours I can give my Jake a big hug and tell him I’m home once again for a while at least. Going away is nice, but coming home to meet a big slobbering dog is the best!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I joke about being online all the time, but with an iPhone, I really would be. I like unplugging once in a while but the convenience would be nice.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Everyone i know who has gotten the iphone LOVES it. I'm sure David is tickled pink. Can't wait to check it out in person.

Welcome home!!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It's all about convenience.

Reya -- I'm sure he'll be only too happy to give you a demo!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

The only thing I worry about when I go away is whether or not I've locked the front door.

I think we still have a long way to go before we get the right combination of size and usability (not to mention battery life). I think the best solution would be something as follows: (1) a wearable computer base station with wireless connectivity (likely clipped to your belt or something), (2) cell phone would be done via bluetooth headset (those stupid things people stick in their ears), (3) interactivity would be via a small notebook sized input screen, connected to the computer base via bluetooth, which would feature real handwriting recognition.

Although, I could also imagine a voice activated / navigated computer (using the bluetooth headset) and video display in your glasses (prescription or sun) – heck the bluetooth headset could be built into the glasses. Instead of voice activation, you might use a sensory glove that translates finger movements into computer commands (a cross between sign language and manipulating a multi-button mouse in your hand) - making people think you have some nervous condition as you twitch your fingers.

I would also imagine that the portable computer could be docked to a full-sized workstation (providing more computing power and storage).

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - I admit it - I'm an Apple fan boy and uber geek. But, the iPhone is truly a work of engineering and design genius.

Mail, phone, a real web browser, ipod, calendar, maps etc. Seamlessly synched with my Mac.

Take the camera. With my wife's Sprint Razr it takes several unintuitive steps to even begin to figure out how to take a picture let alone email it.

The iPhone as with all apple's designs just works the way you intuitively expect it to. No manuals needed.

I LOVE IT!!! You take the slobbering dog, give me my iPhone :-)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- You should be designing this stuff. The truth is that most of what you can imagine will be on the market within a couple of years.

David -- I'm much happier with the slobbering dog that I ever be with an iPhone. Aren't you glad I'm not demanding one of my own? :)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I bet Jake was all over you when he saw you, slobber and all! What's not to love about that!

You're right about Richard!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Jake's tail never stopped wagging after he saw us. He became my shadow for the next couple of days.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home