Sunday, October 07, 2007

Mindsweeping for Safekeeping

What if you could selectively deposit your memories in a place to keep them safe and to free up your mind for other, perhaps more pleasant things? I just learned about a “pensieve” in Harry Potter book #4, “The Goblet of Fire.”

In this chapter Harry stumbles onto a shallow stone basin containing a strange substance and emanating silvery light. It just happens to be the pensieve where Dumbledore deposits his memories.

There are many clever things in these books, but I find the pensieve to be one of the best. Instead of ruminating on scenes you would rather forget for the present, you simply draw them out on a silver strand from your head and deposit them in the pensieve.

I’m just at the point where Harry comes face to face with Lord Voltemort, so it is rather hard to put the book down. However, the day was so perfect that I simply couldn’t resist a long walk around Chautauqua, where my husband imparted the secrets of his photography class, often bemoaning the fact that my camera was just not quite good enough to get it right. Here are a few random shots from my walk. They include:

-- The cow down the street

-- A first ride on a bike without the training wheels

-- The remains of a black-tie event

-- The local Episcopal Church

-- Me in my new brown Tee shirt

-- A guest lecturer in the Hall of Philosophy

-- He always did like doing rabbit ears on unsuspecting victims

-- Lake Shore Drive
-- Two views of the Bell Tower from the porch of The Atheneum


-- The amphitheater just waiting for the next performance

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What wonderful memories you've shared, details you've captured.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Both of you look very relaxed and happy.

I don't think the memories in the pensieve go completely out of your head, it's more like if you place them in the pensieve you can share them with someone else as if they had been part of the scene.

The end of that book is so sad. Love revisiting H.P. through your reports, thank you!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I now realize my Blog is my travel photo album!

Reya -- I finished the book last night, all 734 pages of it. It was very sad, but I see maturing character in HP that makes me so want to start Book #5. But that will have to wait until I am back home.

As for the pensieve, I still think it's a convenient way to put thoughts aside so that you can revisit them alone or in the company of someone else. Just the ability to put them aside is a wonderful concept.

We are relaxed and happy. My back is totally back to normal today and that is a big relief. And I biked up a huge hill yesterday, just using a "serpentine" approach. I love biking. I love Fall. I love DD.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Have you read "The Giver?" Nothing like HP, really, but a comment you made brought the book to mind. I think you'd like it. Love the walk photos. I take walks w/my camera, too.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RuthD -- I remember my daughter reading that book, but I don't think I ever read it. I'll check it out!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I loved the memory deposit idea too...and I love the bow tie pic! That's a great writing prompt!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home