Friday, October 19, 2007

The Costume Dilemma

As we talked about Halloween last night, I found myself wondering just how these children would celebrate the holiday that most kids love the most. Would they dress up? Would they be allowed to trick-or-treat outside?

Each one of them had in mind the ideal costume. The little girl with the pink Crocs who was sitting on my lap wanted to be a mermaid. The boys wanted to be a vampire, a monster, and a spider (no, not Spiderman but an arachnid with 8 legs).

I was mentally checking them off. I had a Little Mermaid size 6 that would be perfect. A cool mask would do for the vampire and monster – I must still have those in a box in the attic. I even came home and researched how to make a spider costume.

I checked with the staff after the reading session to learn that they are planning a Halloween party in the house on Monday before Halloween. The children will not go out on the street to trick-or-treat, but they will all enjoy the in-house fun.

Then it occurred to me that these were not the only children in the house and there would likely be new families by Halloween. It would be horrible for 4 children to show up with nice costumes and others to have nothing to wear.

So as much as I would like to give these children a special Halloween, I can’t do it if it will cause unhappiness for others. I will call on Monday to find out if there is something else I can do that everyone can enjoy. Maybe some chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting for the party.

The Little Mermaid and the homemade Kermit the Frog will have to return to the attic in the hope that grandchildren will someday remind me how cute my children looked so long ago.

7 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

Facepainting...everyone can Facepaint AND MAYBE YOU COULD COME UP (excuse me) with some cheap little funny lookin' hats like the one I have on right now....made it from a cardboard box.
Then you can "bob for apples unless you want try Hard Boiled Eggs which do not float and you have to go to the bottom of the tub for them....thats a lot of fun.

2:24 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I agree with Steve, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You and the other volunteers (if any) could bring some costume elements and have the kids mix and match, or some materials so that they can be creative and make their own costumes. They'll love using their imagination!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I love the idea of facepainting and silly hats. The shelter managers are planning the party, with games like pin the tail on the black cat, but they seemed to be receptive to any volunteer help that came along.

You can see I always went slightly overboard because I loved making costumes, but I saw these kids have fun decorating white paper plates yesterday, so there are plenty of things we could do to dress them up!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I love the idea of facepainting and silly hats. The shelter managers are planning the party, with games like pin the tail on the black cat, but they seemed to be receptive to any volunteer help that came along.

You can see I always went slightly overboard because I loved making costumes, but I saw these kids have fun decorating white paper plates yesterday, so there are plenty of things we could do to dress them up!

4:34 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

OMG- I made that exact kermit the frog costume years ago for my son. It was AWESOME!!!
Maybe we should all post some photos of halloween on our blogs.
Too fun!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve, Matt -- You gave me a great idea. My RAK group is meeting the night before the Halloween party. I am putting out a message to all 20 people asking them to bring gently used costumes, costume parts, face paint, whatever they have around and can contribute. Then I will take a box of all this stuff over to the shelter the next day and let the kids create a costume and get their faces painted. No-cost, no-fuss fun!

Gewels -- My son was 4 when I made the Kermit outfit. My daughter was still wearing the headpiece in high school. That costume was recycled many times. I'll have to look for a picture.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Barbara, I really appreciate the fact that you took a step back and realized that you couldn't fix everything for everyone. That you would try to find a solution, however scaled back, for making the event fun for all. I find it so tempting to try to fix what I can without thinking of the consequences.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home