Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Shhh! Don't Wake the Baby

Jake has become my shadow when I’m home, sitting beside me while I play the piano, watching me type on my computer, sleeping next to my side of the bed.

When my husband and I decided to take a “nap” yesterday afternoon, I looked at the dog and said, “What do we do with him?” We have always been very private about love-making. When our children were young, I always wanted to make sure they were fast asleep. I joked that having a dog in our bedroom seemed like having one of our children as an audience.

We opted to close our bedroom door, leaving Jake out in the hallway. He scratched on the door for a while, and then just settled down to guard our room.

When I opened the door, I swear he looked at me with those big brown eyes and asked for an explanation. Everyone says dogs don’t hold grudges, but for the rest of the day he had his nose out of joint with me, chastising me for banishing him from our room.

Today I’ve been forgiven. But I must say this new separation anxiety of his has complicated our life just a little!

Maybe he needs a girlfriend of his own. He’s actually got a “date” with Bailey, an 11-year-old female about his size, who may be his companion during his next “camp experience” when we go to San Francisco in November. Maybe Bailey will steal his heart and he will be happy to dream of her by himself downstairs, where he spent the first 8 years of his life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This made me smile as we, who have never had kids, often have to carry our cats of the bed to the hallway when we don't want them to be "voyeurs"!

(Afternoon delight is another advantage of being retired!!!)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- You're preaching to the choir! :)

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home