Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Misfit

I find shopping to be either a bonanza or a terribly disappointing experience. I now know what stores have clothes that fit me, and I should just stick to those stores. I am always successful at Ann Taylor Loft or at Filenes.

However today I tried H & M, a favorite of my 23-year-old daughter. My friend needed new pants and it was the first store we came to. I thought I could pick up a much-needed pair of cords while she shopped.

I casually picked out two styles and took an 8 and a 10 in each into the dressing room, after waiting in line for 10 minutes. I didn’t even bother with the 8's when I found the 10's to be several inches below my waistline and several inches from closing. I quickly concluded the people who shop at H & M must not have stomachs. How mortifying to think you are a size 8 and not be able to zip up a size 10!

My friend found multiple pairs of brown pants that fit, except for needing to be hemmed. How could she be so lucky?

I consoled myself by realizing I had just saved money on this shopping expedition.

Some day soon I may head over to AT Loft or Filenes in search of those cords. But today I will just have to be content with my current wardrobe.

11 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Until the clothing industry came up with sizes, no one knew if they wore size 8 or 10 or 14 or zero (size zero always freaks me out). Everyone made clothes to fit their particular bodies.

The size thing is just so ridiculous. After a shopping expedition like that, the only thing to do is go have a drink!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- Cheers! Here's to your size 0 purse!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

this post is a perfect plug for making one's own clothes - too bad that's become too expensive as well!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The trousers at H&M are consistently off, if you ask me. Old Navy's got cords, though. I just have to check out the fit. "Low rise" means I cannot sit comfortably. "Ultra low rise" means I cannot stand or walk comfortably...

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only Misfit I see in this story is HM for being so inconsistent in their sizing.

I echo reya's commentary on the clothing industries ridiculous attempts to standardize sizing. In this case, it has meant to lower sizes so women feel better about their size; ergo, they purchase more items.

This mindset definitely backfired with your experience at HM.

Size 0's ??? Isn't that an infant size ....?

11:08 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I guess that's why I always made my clothes when I was growing up. But, you are right, it has become very expensive these days if you use good fabric.

Kristin -- I would like to think the H & M sizing is off!

Red -- I guess H & M hasn't bought into the psychology of sizing! As for size 0, I associate it with anorexics and non-size items, like purses and gloves!

2:15 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I bought a pair of Jeans at one of these dress for less places and the first time I washed em they started falling apart! I've had them for two weeks and I'll be lucky if I get another two weeks from them. Never bught discount clothes before and wont again.

I've reached shape that I don't think a New York Tailor could fit...but you'd think that it would be against the law to sell clothes that disolve in the wash.

10:51 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I love H@M for very inexpensive and trendy clothes. I figure for what I pay for them if I wear them for one season- it's a bargain.
But, NOW- we had a Loehman's open up right near my house. Imagine my joy at finding really nice trendy clothes that fit...I love the cute short, empire waist dresses. No need to worry if the hips and waist will fit.I also got the cutest peek toe platform slingbacks (in my gargantuan size 11) for 30.00 bucks (originally 70.00)YIPPEE!!!!!
Plus, I shopped the day AFTER my birthday and I got an extra 26.00 off since it was a birthday.
Gotta LOVE that.
Life is good!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Two-week-old jeans from anywhere shouldn't be falling apart. I'd take them back!

Gewels -- Everyone has a favorite. My daughter's all-time favorite is Loehman's. She can always find piles of clothes there that fit. I think they are designed for H&M-shape bodies, not mine!

So what's the deal on your birthday?

10:03 PM  
Blogger Velvet said...

H & M is totally off. Go to Club Monaco. True to size and classic clothes. Worth every penny.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- Let's go shopping some day soon. I still need those cords, and Club Monaco sounds like the place!

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home