Sunday, November 11, 2007

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head

One day of sun may be all we get. Today the rain came around noon and it is still coming down.

Did that stop us from walking uphill and downhill? Of course not. Today we went to what must be one of the world’s largest farmers’ markets at the Ferry Building. It seemed like everything we saw was the best and freshest and most delicious ever.

Chicken fricasse with mushrooms, anyone?

Dogs are allowed at this farmers' market.

A little soulful music to shop by.

A pumpkin weighing in aty 1,292 pounds.

How could I pass up fresh plump oysters for lunch with an espresso on the side?

We were invited to dinner at the condo of one of my college roommates on the 17th floor of a very large building in South Beach. On any other day the view would have been spectacular, but the wave of fog obscured most everything to the point where it just seemed like we were up in the clouds.

We had a lot of fun remembering things that had happened almost 40 years ago when we were both just young flower children. I reminded her that she (being 4 years older than I was) and her boyfriend had taught me how to drink. She also taught me more useful things like how to cook.

Today will be a good test of the old wives’ tale that getting wet gives you a cold. Tomorrow we head out to Sonoma for some wine-tasting.

6 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

"But first, we eat!"
Enjoy your wine tasting and some good food and whatever else today brings on your wonderful trip. See you at the airport on Monday.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Eating and walking and shopping - that's what San Francisco does best. Sorry about the rain, though they really need it.

Your blog is making me homesick! It's a nice feeling.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

KC -- Food is absolutely #1. I wake up thinking, "Now where shall we eat breakfast?" It's been really great to have Rachel's company and to see how well she has become a San Franciscan in such a short period of time. She really is a great kid, even if I do say so!

We'll look forward to our pick-up on Monday, which makes coming home to easy!

Reya -- I can see how you loved this city. I would be in much better shape if I lived here and didn't have a car. The sun is out today as we rent a car and drive to Sonoma. I think it will be a good last day.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I spent most of the month of October in San Francisco. Jonathan bought me an October Muni pass that I used sparingly, because I too walked everywhere. One round trip I frequently used it for was to and from the Davies campus of Pacific Medical Center. I had never ridden the "underground" in prior visits to SF, so I enjoyed the ease of the pass to access this part of the city.

Did you notice on the rainy day how few people had umbrellas? It actually only rained two days during my three weeks, but I did not use an umbrella either. One could not truly describe it as rain, more like "heavy drizzle." But.....I noticed that the elderly and babies or small children were often protected with umbrellas, although very few others had opened theirs.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- Yes, I did notice how few umbrellas there were. I too held off until I was thoroughly soaked. By then the mist had turned into rain. Maybe we'll meet up some day in SF as we are both visiting our children.

9:44 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Oh, those Chantrelles!
Need I say more?

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home