Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cardmaking Bee

I now get the whole concept of the quilting bee. You know, the group of our great grandmothers who got together to work on their quilts while they bared their souls to each other.

Yesterday I experienced a modern-day quilting bee in the form of card-making with my friends KC and LR. We whiled away the afternoon while we sipped and snipped.

They both did variations on the poinsettia card I recently made. As with anything, the new ideas made it even better. The gold paper surrounding the flower became hunter green fabric, a much better contrast with the red.

We talked about everything under the sun. We talked a lot about my experience with Glenda, which I have yet to tell you after I get just a little more information. We started planning a neighborhood baby shower for her to help fill in the many things that she will need for the birth of her first child.

By the time they left, KC and LR had beautiful poinsettia cards for their respective mothers for Christmas. I had a shimmery Christmas tree card for my friend Rosa. And we had staved off our growing hunger with fruit salad and green tea. I can’t remember spending a more productive afternoon in better company!

We made plans to have a Valentine card bee in early February. There is nothing more therapeutic than creating something beautiful with other like-minded people.

Last night after meditation I made just one more card – this time a birthday card for my little girl who will turn 24 on December 29.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

You are such a creative woman! Lovely cards. Have you ever tried making torn paper art? It's sort of like making mosaics only the torn paper can be any shape or size. I wish I had a sample card to show you but I mailed them all away!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Such pleasure. My "little girl is 24, also.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I am curious to know more about torn paper art. Take a picture the next time you make something and send it to me, OK?

RuthD -- 24 seems to be past the age of defiance. My daughter actually writes to ask me how I'm doing. I think we could be really good friends finally!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm with Pauline. You are so creative! And productive. And full of energy. It's amazing.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

What a blast of creative energy! In the summer, I have a couple of friends over on a week day night and we have the "Don't Worry, Be Happy Quilting Guild". I call it that, because I don't allow self-depreciating comments. One of the "girls" is always putting herself down and I wanted to encourage herself to be nice to herself.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I think everyone has the ability to be creative. We just have to allow ourselves to go with our instincts!

Kelly -- I agree that everyone needs a sense of self-worth! Good for you for encouraging your friend.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

I like to make something special for my cards every year -- but sometimes that gets too daunting and no card goes out at all.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- I know the feeling well. I can count the number of cards I made on one hand and still have fingers left. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have made one for every friend. But I just didn't. I will send them all greetings by ESP!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home