Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bring on the Cold

I passionately hate dressing for winter. I go coatless until it’s just too cold. But I recently came to the realization that even though I might wear a coat, my head is still freezing. So today I invested in not one, but two hats.

I’m sure the main reason I haven’t worn hats is they tend to smash down my hair. I don’t have that hair with boinnng that springs back to life after you peel off a snug-fitting hat. So I’ve gone without for all these years.

Today I was on a winning streak in Filene’s. Any time I buy more than half of what I try on, I feel victorious. The best news was it was greatly reduced, as they try to get rid of all their winter merchandise in preparation for spring. I ended up with 2 pairs of pants and 4 sweaters (two of them Cashmere) for around $180.

Then I remembered about my cold head and asked about hats. Main floor the clerk said.

Hats of every description. First the “dressy” hat (above) that is warm without fitting tightly. It’s extremely soft and will go with most every color.

Then I couldn’t resist a hat with ear flaps at $12.99.

It even fastens under your chin to really seal out the cold.


All this in under an hour since I was at a 1-hour meter. I definitely didn’t want to offset my sale savings with a $50 parking ticket.

That should be the last shopping I need to do until spring.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Those hats are great! I hope you enjoy them the whole season.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I plan to. I can't believe what a difference having one's head covered makes!

5:00 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

OOH! I want the second one. At 12.99 I'll take every color.
How can they even make it for 12.99? What with the shipping costs from China and all.
I love, love, love hats, and wear them winter and summer.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- Yes, made in China. I can't figure out how they can make a profit at $12.99. But it does come in many colors all with the fake fur, so go check it out while they last. I wore it back to my car in that gale today and my ears were toasty warm.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

oooooo - hats! I love hats even though I have hat head when I take them off. I took some photos of my favorites and will post them in a day or two. We should go somewhere together in our cool hats!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Now I have a description (hat head) of what happens to my hair. I guess that's related to "bed head." Wish we could get our hats together for a winter walk on one of these cold days.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love both your hats and the ear flap hat looks especially warm! I love hats but look gorky in them! Hey, we should have a post party where everyone posts a picture of themselves in hats! HA! I might just have to do that! I got a camera stick attachment so you can hold out your arm and take a pic of yourself without it looking like all nose!

We are in a real cold snap here with wind chil of -25C! Then by Monday it's to be 13C!! Crazy!

I love Cashmere but have never spent the money on it. Some day!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Your hats are snazzy.

I found it important to wear a scarf and keep my neck/chest warm. However, I'm only dealing with California cool, not really WINTER weather, according to some.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I'll bet you know how to dress for the winter up there in Canada!

Kelly -- I love the climate of the SF Bay area, even though it's foggy a lot. A scarf would feel good in that damp weather.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

First, I feel your pain - hats turn my bouncy curls into a flattened rats nest.

Second, it's funny you mention Canada...that was my first thought when I looked at the picture!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jessica -- I've quickly become a hat convert despite the flattened hair. It's such a new wonderful feeling for my head to be the warmest part of my body! In general, I think vanity decreases with age...

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Cool! Sort of like Davy Crockett. I can't stand the feel of hats. but if I'm in danger of freezing to death, I could go for yours. nice.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home