Monday, February 18, 2008

Discontinued Good Taste

I had never before considered buying shoes online. After all, I have enough trouble finding the right shoes even when I can see them and try them on. But then I reminded myself that Ecco’s are really true to size and I inevitably like most every pair I try on.

So I found the Ecco Ibiza Quarter Strap online and decided to get it in beige, on sale at a great price. Sounds easy enough, but then after a few false starts I began to realize these shoes have been discontinued. On Saturday I finally found a pair in camel at Zappos and ordered them. They sent me back an e-mail saying they had expedited my shipping and low and behold my camel Ibizas arrived today.

They are a perfect replacement for my 4-year-old sandals that are dirty and falling apart. So perfect that I decided to order a second pair in black. After countless inquiries, I almost concluded there are no more pairs of black Ibiza size 40's in this country. But I have tried yet one more place that may well send me back a message tomorrow declaring they too no longer have my size.

I wonder why I am so attracted to shoes that get discontinued. This was true of the dirty-falling apart sandals as well. In every set of reviews I read, the Ibiza got 5 stars. Now why would a company just quit making them after one season?

I should content myself with my one pair of new shoes. After all, my packing list allows only one pair of dress sandals, so I’m good to go to Italy. But I’m still hopeful the black sandals will eventually find their way into my closet.

I may yet join the ranks of the confirmed Internet shoppers, like my husband who detests going to stores. I must say it’s a lot easier to shop at my computer in my pajamas!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Great shoes! You have to take a chance sometimes. It doesn't make sense they'd stop making them if they're a winner. Maybe you'll find some nice leather sandals in Italy!!

8:01 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Ooh yeah!!! Buy shoes in Italy! And a handbag.

I wish I can buy on-line. My huge size 11's don't even seem to fit many 11's- frustrating.
Went shoe-shopping yesterday and only managed to find 1 pair that fit well....like I even NEEDED those.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I am packing a duffle bag inside my one suitcase for purchases like SHOES!

Gewels -- I love Italian leather. I'm sure I will not be able to resist!

I do recall you have a thing for shoes. You can only feel good about yourself when you like looking at your feet and you can walk without feeling them! With my experience, when you find a pair of shoes you like, you buy it; otherwise they will be discontinued for sure.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I buy a LOT of shoes online and everything else. It's just so much easier to shop from my computer than to get myself to the store. I don't have any favorite shows, though.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Shoes, I mean. (I do have favorite shows.) I've never thought about discontinued shoes.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

All kinds of companies discontinue products I love - face creams, lipstick colors, shoes ... you name it. I think the marketplace always wants something new. Or so the thinking goes.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Madalyn C. Campbell said...

Awesome and wonderful shoes. How nice is this shoes! I'm finding such shoes from last few days for my cropped jean jacket and at last I have found this affordable shoe from your blog.Informative post, I love to read your post regularly, Thanks.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home