Thursday, February 07, 2008

In Support of Nature

OK, I’m hard up for something to write about today. But never did I think I would be writing about breast pumps. Those days are decades behind me.

Since my push to get the basics for Glenda, I seem to still be on the MOTH website as a potential way to get rid of baby things not needed any longer. At this point I’m simply taking most of them to the Arlington Teen Parenting program and they are delighted. Every baby needs a stroller and a carseat and blankets, etc.

It’s a win-win proposition The young parents can get rid of their stuff with just a phone call because I come to them to pick it up.

Yesterday netted two bags of toys, a stroller, and a breast pump which was in bad need of cleaning. Thinking that Glenda might want to pump when she goes back to work in a few weeks, I took it all apart and made it look like new. I ordered replacement tubing from Evenflo, which will arrive sometime next week.

Yesterday’s young mother said she had purchased the breast pump when she was on a work trip and realized she had left her pump at home. So it was never even used that much. She went on and on about the benefits of breast-feeding to both mother and child. I agreed with her, but felt like saying she was preaching to the choir.

It appears that similar pumps are about $40 new, so this is a nice find. Hopefully it will help mother and baby in just those ways the giver described. It really wasn’t doing anyone any good collecting dust in the closet. I’ll bet there are a lot of things like this just sitting around begging for a new home.

The young mother thanked me profusely, saying it made her feel good to know at least generally who would be benefitting from the things she no longer needed for her boys. I once again agreed with her, telling her the reason I like doing what I’m doing is because I can meet the recipients and know the things are being put to good use.

4 Comments:

Blogger riseoutofme said...

Its great that you are giving of your time and energy to benefit others. I haven't had much time for the computer recently but am taking heart from your retirement endeavours! The thought of making valentine cards or perhaps starting a quilt or sharing my time on a voluntary basis is something I can only dream about as yet but I do like to read about how you're DOING it!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Rise -- I've missed you since your Blogging marathon came to a halt. Welcome back! Wish you lived on our side of the pond and could join us. You would fit in just great!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's interesting how knowing the recipient makes it easier to part with some things.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I always wonder when I drop a bag of things off at the Salvation Army or Goodwill if those things will ever find a new home. This way I don't have to wonder.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home