Monday, February 25, 2008

Six Eyes, but Which Eyes?

When I took off my glasses tonight in yoga to do a belly pose, I suddenly understood why I had a headache. I had worn my new “piano” glasses, which are NOT for driving, and had spent quite a while fighting rush hour traffic to get there.

Since I quit memorizing the eye charts at age 17 and got my first pair of glasses, I have never had to look for my glasses because they have always been on my face. I have had prescription sunglasses for years which I seldom wear, preferring instead not to have to think about changing glasses.

The whole philosophy of the new glasses, as suggested by my piano teacher, is that they take they give you the mid- and short-range portions of the standard progressive lense, dropping off the distance portion and thereby greatly increasing your peripheral vision and not causing you to have to move your head so much to see clearly.

But after today’s experience I feel like I need a course in glasses management. I had jokingly said to the girl at the optician’s, “I guess I can tell them apart by the fact that the frame goes all the way around the lense in my old pair, right?” So that was the clue in my yoga class – no frame on the bottom..

Then my head really started to pound and I considered my options for driving home. I could wear my sunglasses in the pitch black or just wear the new glasses and hope for the best. I popped an Alleve and did the latter.

I now must come up with a plan, a routine, that will assure this doesn’t happen again. One approach would be to always have both pairs with me when I leave the house. Another would be to train myself to switch back after playing the piano, reading, or looking at my computer. This is starting to sound way too complicated.

Unfortunately the new glasses make such a positive difference for things like looking at a computer screen or playing the piano that it will be hard to ignore them.

So now I have joined the ranks of the many people I know who are constantly misplacing their glasses. That really makes me feel older than turning 59!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Ack. Lost comment. :(

As a contact lens wearer, I worry about such things extensively, especially when I travel. What if I lose a contact? Tear one? Scratch my eye or forget my glasses? How will I get home?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I had already started to wonder how many pairs of glasses I was going to take on my next trip...

11:26 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Reza's eyes are changing, so he is constantly taking off his glasses. They are almost invisible, so then he has a hard time finding them. I got some "crocs" for him (those things that hold them in place when you do activities) so they are a little more visible.

My eyes are changing too... need glasses for reading! How did that happen?!

8:59 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I always wondered if having a different pair of glasses for the computer and quilting would make sense; however, after reading your experience, I think I'll stick to having just my one pair of progressive bifocals. thanks for helping me figure that one out!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Fortunately, I still have only a single pair of glasses for distance viewing (which I hardly ever wear). Although (I even blogged about it a year or two ago), it is getting harder to read. Eventually, I am sure I will need reading glasses.

I can imagine the added stress your "piano" glasses gave you, especially if you were not aware you had them on.

Bifocals wouldn't work? How about radically different frames? Laser eye surgery?

4:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- It's too bad we don't all have perfect vision! And it's also too bad that it just keeps changing.

Kimy, Richard -- I already had progressive bifocals. The new glasses are just a different form of the same which basically gives you the bottom two-thirds of a progressive lens.

They really are wonderful for things within 5 feet, which would include computer screens, piano, reading.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home