Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Remembering Friends

The pink and white cyclamen that adorn the window seat in my family room are significant for a couple of reasons: They have survived for more than a year in my house and they remind me of dear friends.

The white one came as a hostess gift from someone who was in my Wednesday meditation group. She and her husband left town to travel and live on the west coast for a time after they both retired. I was shocked to hear that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer several months into their trip. I don’t hear from her on a regular basis, but try to keep up with her life through friends that do. I find it so unfair that one of the happiest, most care-free times of their life together could be marred by this awful disease.

The pink one was also a hostess gift from my elderly friend Florence, not long before she was diagnosed with an incurable brain tumor. Until the day she died, this petite woman was one of the feistiest, most entertaining people I ever met. She was the inspiration for our “poetry by the light of the moon” night. I miss her smiling face in our Temple Micah congregation.

I think of these two strong women every time I look at my beautiful flowering plants. Keeping those plants alive helps me keep their memories alive.

However, I will start to worry about the next person who presents me with a cyclamen. Call it superstition, but I care a lot about my friends!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

That is a bit spooky. I promise never to send you a cyclamen, although you certainly have a green thumb for them!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

what a beautiful way to remember your friends, though

Today I put a small package in the mail bound for your house. It is a gift for baby Angeli. Thank you for delivering it to her when it arrives :)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a way to remember them, to think of them. Maybe, on some level, they wanted to give you something more to envision when you think of them than the troubles in their lives.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- The good thing about these plants is they seem to require only water and some sun. They continue to bloom year around.

Pauline -- I can't wait to receive your package. You can bet I will deliver it to baby Angeli.

Kristin -- When these women gave me the plants, they had no clue of their impending illness. It's all rather mysterious.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Humans always try to look for patterns. I wouldn't worry about it (but the fear certainly makes for more interesting story telling).

I think it is nice to have something personal from our friends; something more than just a picture. And if you can care for plants, then I think they are a wonderful token.

10:22 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I definitely won't be bringing any cyclamen when I meet you! I'm superstitious enough the way it is - tee hee!

but it's nice these flowers are still thriving and you have beautiful reminders of your two friends. I hope the one w/ bc makes a full recovery... I offer healing vibes for her!

we have a 'superstition' flower family story about with my daughter e and boyfriends. lilies are the kiss of death of em's relationship - she had 3 boyfriends in a row who were fond of giving flowers, ironically when they presented lilies, it wasn't long afterwards that e came to realize that she no longer wanted to be with said boy. her last serious 'boyfriend' lasted 3 1/2 years he never presented e with lilies. they lived together for 3 years and then em realized he wasn't the type of person she could imagine would be 'the father of her child/ren' - long story short, no flowers involved, just serious thought about her future.

okay back to work.... see you SOON!!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kimy -- Funny how flowers take on a reputation... Wishing Em luck in her search for the perfect partner.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you this weekend. It will be good to give the MOUSE a real live face!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Maybe it says a lot of these strong spirited women that their plants are thriving!

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home