Friday, April 04, 2008

Auf Wiedersehen All Around

As I dropped Jake off at his home-away-from-home for the next week, I couldn’t help but remember leaving my children at daycare when they were younger. It’s always that question of whether to say goodbye or just sneak out while they’re not looking.

I had to laugh earlier this morning when my husband got up just to see the dog off and was talking to him like he would never see him again. Sheesh! He’s just a dog going to a wonderful home in the suburbs.

Was I crazy to make the hour trip to Columbia in rush hour? Gewels thought so. But actually the roads were empty. Even the BW Parkway which is always crowded.

It was probably good that we had visited recently. When we arrived Jake’s new girlfriends Simone and Kayla met him out front. Simone gave him her “I’m in charge here” perfunctory bark and they raced into the house together. He immediately made a beeline for the back yard where he so had enjoyed drinking out of the fish pond.

He did come looking for me when I was in the bathroom, but other than that there was no major separation anxiety. I hope to goodness he didn’t go nuts AFTER I left.

When I got home I realized how QUIET the house is with no dog. There have been very few moments over the past several decades when there was no animal in our house.

The phone just rang and for a moment I was afraid I might hear, “I hate to tell you that Jake just escaped.” But no, it was just our friend who’s giving us a ride to the airport confirming the time.

As I throw the last few things in my suitcase and pack some food for the long trip ahead of us, I do miss that pink nose and the WHAP of that heavy tail, but I’m sure he will have a ball with his girls. He loves the company of dogs and people, so this is just about perfect!

Now it’s AUF WIEDERSEHEN!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Don't forget to write!

8:48 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Well, just so you know- he loves to announce his entrance with that very energetic whapping tail. He often whaps Simone back and forth over her head with it too. She's just the right height.
It's hysterical watching him trying to bury his kong in my pile of shoes, at first I thought he was going in there to chew on them- then my husband realized it all had to do with the kong.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home