Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Digging Deeper

Last night’s peculiar dream is one of the few I have remembered recently. It was at Temple Micah and all my neighbors had become part of my Jewish community.

LR (who is in actuality a devout Episcopalian) sat at a table selling DVD’s on “How to be a Better Jew.” She told me in a worried voice, “We still need to make $328.” Hearing this I whipped out my checkbook, the cover of which is held together with duct tape (one of the few facts in this dream), and wrote her a check for $150. “Others will make up the shortfall,” I assured her.

That has always been the case at Temple Micah, where it takes only a plea for money for a legitimate cause and it is given without question. A very successful capital campaign raised close to 2 million dollars for a renovation of the building. When the Tsunami disaster struck Sri Lanka, a request from our rabbi brought in enough money to buy something like 10 fishing boats in just a couple of weeks. At the recent auction when the rabbi asked for contributions for carpeting in the expanded building, in just 15 minutes there was over $10,000 pledged for carpeting.

Not all members are wealthy, but we all come with a sense of priorities that allows us to give serious thought to a request that comes from Temple Micah. No gift is ever too small and there is never a judgment about the amount. It’s the idea that we are committed to the life and programs espoused by Temple Micah and we will do whatever is necessary to see that they continue.

This sense of priorities, this willingness to always dig a little deeper for a just cause, were important things that beckoned me to become a part of my Temple Micah family.

I wish I could remember the end of the dream. Oh well...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What an interesting dream. It's funny the various forms family can take, the way that your neighbors share your faith in your dream, how you work to make something happen, which is more truth than fiction.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- They are all part of my extended family! I'm surprised the Blogging community wasn't there as well. Hmmm... maybe they were and I just didn't remember that part.

3:33 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Oh what a great Dream....you havta learn (well maye you don't) how to remember the WHOLE dream...I don't know how I do it but I do...sometimes it helps to wake yourself up and replay the dream.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home