Friday, May 02, 2008

Different Strokes Revisited


I’m hoping to learn the art of casual entertaining this weekend. I’m really trying to subdue my tendency to plan a function to death and instead just let it happen spontaneously.

I’m co-hosting a party of Bloggers, many of whom are coming great distances and most of whom have a direct connection to the other party planner, who happens to be my Blogging mentor.

We get along like siblings, but in fact we are as different as night and day. Before any function I am forever making lists and timelines. She suggested that we meet to do the shopping 3 hours before the guests arrive, a very foreign concept for me. There is no master list, yikes!

But the nature of this party, the creation of a dance around a May pole, and the guests who are coming all suggest a spontaneous approach that defies my list-making. It will probably be a cooperative effort to put up the Maypole, to attach bright ribbons to it, and to make flower wreaths for our heads.

As for food, the menu is designed to be a “do your own thing” sort of barbeque. We will put out little wooden skewers and various marinated meats, veggies, and fruit and everyone will string together what they like best.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying the company of Letty of Lettuce-Eating, a delightful Brit who timed her first trip to the US to coincide with this party.

Now I must go shopping in my closet to find the appropriate dorky costume for our May Day dance tomorrow. And I must also do a little pre-dance dance to hold off the rain!

9 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

This post and the last one have the same underlying theme - learning to relax and let things happen. Have fun with both your music and your dancing!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like a great time, even without following your normal party planning path. I'm sure that everyone will just enjoy being together. Have fun!

4:37 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Aw man...If i didn't have play Organ for the parson i might have a notion to come on up....
Just to give you a little warnin', since i'm about to get laid off i might just have to take me a little tour sometime soon...

5:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Hard lessons for me to learn, but I'm trying!

Kristin -- You're right: FUN is the real objective!

Steve -- Come on up any time. If you come soon, I can not only give you a room to stay in but also provide you with a 1985 Volvo wagon to drive. We're trying to unload a couple of OLD cars...

5:19 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

casual entertaining, is there any other way?

I should be okay tomorrow as I think all my clothes qualify as dorky! what a relief! see you in a few!

you are so wonderful to be provide your home for this gathering of some of the blogging tribe..... you and reya rock!

see you in a few!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- Yes, see you soon!

11:01 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Planning extensively for a bloggers get-together is like ... I can't think of an analogy now, but it would be a wasted effort. Better to let spontaneity and creativity take its cours.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Did you mean Coors? It will be Sam Adams instead. :) Sorry you can't join us because you are one of my favorite Bloggers!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I'm sure it will be great! But I'm stuck on "costume"...uh oh- do I need to shop in my closet too? :)

See you soon!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home