Monday, June 30, 2008

A New Member of My Blogger Family

You can’t imagine how surprised I was when in Italy I received an e-mail message from my friend back home letting me know I had a Blogging fan. Sure enough when I looked at this post, I realized I had a reader I had never met, well at least not formally.

It gets a little more complicated. This reader found my Blog by Googling the name of my doctor, which I thought I had never used in its entirety (it only takes once and the last name is now gone). Said doctor plays in an orchestra with said Blogger. And there you have a very complex picture.

This person has been reading my Blog for over a year and has only recently let it be known that she too has a Blog.

After my return from Italy, we traded a few e-mails and finally got together for lunch today at Busboys & Poets in Shirlington, which seems to be my place to meet up with Bloggers.

She has quite a story to tell about her life as a professional musician and her house which was consumed by fire several years ago but is slowly rising from the ashes through the hard work of her and her husband, also a professional musician. They work on the house in between gigs which often take them far away from home.

Our lives have music and Blogging in common, but otherwise couldn’t be more different. She taught piano for many years. She has seen the world as a jazz musician on a cruise ship while I was selling my soul to the Federal Government.

I admire the fact that she has maintained such a positive attitude throughout the whole house ordeal in the face of shrinking funds and increasing costs. It sounds like the house project may actually draw to a close in a few months.

She suggested her Blog may lose its purpose when the house is finished. I’m hoping she will continue to write about her adventures carting her double bass around the world and the challenges of being a musician.

Meanwhile she has applied to get on DC Blogs. If you are an administrator of that site, please make this happen!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What an interesting connection! You're so great about keeping in touch and finding out more about people. I admire that.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I give her all the credit for our meet-up. What fun!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

It's funny the purposes that blogging can serve. Within our family, meetups are way more personal because my family knows about my day-to-day craziness. (Especially lately with my summer school fun!)

...and believe me, Barbara, you have waaaay more than one fan!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home