Sunday, June 01, 2008

Paradise Found

Imagine waking up in paradise. That’s just about the way we felt today as we had our first glimpse of Praiano. We could see little last night as we arrived near midnight in the dark, but the morning light showed us the beauty of this place.

Yesterday was a day of challenges as we missed trains and looked for nonexistent buses. We were determined to get here and ended up finding a taxi in Salerno at 10:30 last night for the last leg of our journey from Venice.

We’ve spent today getting used to our house for the next 2 weeks. The house was built about 100 years ago into the hillside of Praiano. It’s a mere 60 steps up from the road below. It’s not modern or elegant, but it has all the basics. It has a terrace outside up more steps. There’s a garden up there with lemons, peaches, lettuce, onions, and garlic, all of which we are welcome to pick and eat.





We wandered around today finding grocery stores and other things of interest. At one point we ended up at a restaurant overlooking the water for prosciutto, melon, and fresh-squeezed lemonade.


I will definitely be in better shape by the time I get home after climbing all these stairs. But I’m still getting used to the heat and the exertion. I love the idea of staying put in this place for 2 weeks and not having to drag our suitcases around. What a luxury!

8 Comments:

Blogger GEWELS said...

That place looks gorgeous. Is it anywhere near Positano? That was my favorite town along the AMalfi coast (but I don't recall seeing Praiano).

Jakey misses you and is dying for some Italian Biscotti dog treats.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

TWO WEEKS!!!
Color me a deep jealous green. I look forward to your post(card)s from paradise.
If it weren't for Jake, are you sure you could be able to leave after two weeks there?

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful...after the excitement and high activity level of the beginning of your trip, you can relax into your new digs and slow down the activity level. Clearly you will exert a great deal of energy but that will provide you with the opportunity to savor more of the local cuisine - a win-win situation!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

What a trip you've had so far! I love being an armchair traveler...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Wow, it's beautiful. Breathe in those negative ions. Yes!!

7:55 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

given italian standards, I would say your house being only 100 years old makes it fairly modern!!

sounds like paradise indeed!

thanks for bringing us along on this trip!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

paradise indeed! How long are you staying?! When you come back, we will be OUT of school!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I can just see you buying lots of Italian shoes in Positano. It is definitely your kind of town! BTW, the little white blouse in the photo was the one I wanted.

Give my Jakey a big kiss on both cheeks. I miss him terribly every time I see an Italian dog -- and there are plenty. The Europeans love their dogs!

Ulysses -- It would be tempting to spend maybe the rest of my life here. But then I remember how poorly the dollar is doing against the Euro and realize paradise has its limits.

Reya -- What are negative ions. I am huffing and puffing up and down the hills, but haven't run into a negative ion yet that I recognized. I'm actually doing quite well with all the walking -- no falls, no back aches, and stronger legs. Of course, I am still as slow as a snail, but they eventually wait for me to catch up. We're hiking up the mountain to an outdoor concert tomorrow. Time to get out my walking sticks I think.

LR -- Win-win for sure!

Pauline, Mouse, Kelly -- Thanks for coming along!

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home