Sunday, May 25, 2008

Going Ashore

There are many good things to be said about a cruise, but the difficulties of moving people off and back on the ship when you come to a port are somewhat overwhelming.

We spent the day in Dubrovnik -- that would be more like we spent 2 hours in Dubrovnik after we took a tender (lifeboat) to a bus to the old walled city, where we walked the wall, and then reversed the process. Each leg of this journey required waiting in a line, which some people respected more than others. We figure about 2,000 people from our ship went ashore. This was all complicated further by the fact that there were something like 4 cruiseships doing the same thing.

There were spectacular views of the sea from the 11th century wall around the city. The red tile roofs, the blue-green water, and the rocky shoreline all provided excellent photo ops. Brave souls were diving into the sparkling water from the rocks above us, while others were loading the cannons in our defense.




(Note the bodies in mid-air!)

But without a doubt, those who stayed on the ship poolside or enjoyed spa services found the relaxation we were missing as we made our first trip ashore.

Tomorrow is a full day at sea as we travel on to Turkey. My treat for the day will be a Swedish massage mid-afternoon. Much needed after hauling my suitcase around for a week!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs, Barbara, they give the feel of the place and make us feel we were there, too; but you may have felt there was more to see, if you didn't have to spend so much time waiting in line! Multiple cruise ships can clog a fine spot for sure.

Sink into your spa visit and get ready for your next adventure!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I've been away and so am just catching up on your travels. The photos are marvelous! Hope it's sunny where you are now - it's beaming down on those of us traveling with you vicariously.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

Dubrovnik looks awesome. I'm putting it on the list of future destinations right now.
I even like saying it, Dubrovnik...

11:16 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

OMG. I would never ever ever jump off that cliff! Wow.

Sounds amazing though and what a beautiful place. Can't wait to hear about Turkey!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

beautiful photos, glad to see you are well-protected by the cannons!! I know that the spa treatment is going to be fantastic! I have to admit, I realllllly enjoyed the days at sea when I did the mexican carribean several years ago.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

After my trip to Turkey, I swore I'd have to come back and do something like your trip. I'd be jealous if I weren't just so happy for you and this opportunity.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you. These pictures are awesome

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home