Friday, June 13, 2008

Winding Down

As the rain falls softly on the Amalfi Coast, we are thinking about going home, putting an end to this Mediterranean odyssey.

We ask each other questions like what did you miss most from home? A cutting board, a microwave, a toaster, a dishwasher, a disposal, a washing machine that completed a load in less than 3 hours, a dryer.

What did we like most about this place? The garden at our disposal with its vegetables and herbs. The daily exercise despite our complaints about the stairs. The church bells that rang on the quarter hour around the clock. The upstairs “deck” where we could read, eat dinner, or just sit and look at the sea. All the lovely little towns just a bus ride away from Praiano. The blue, blue sky. A postcard picture view in any direction.

It’s almost fitting that we leave when the weather isn’t so good, given how lucky we have been for most of the trip. We took one last trip to the pottery store between here and Amalfi this morning and another last trip to Positano this afternoon to just walk and have a final pizza. I tried on the expensive white shirt and it didn’t fit, so there is no regret.





There is actually a dog at the front of this small boat that reminded me of my Jakey, who is living it up back home with Gewels.

Tomorrow we will spend packing up and getting ready for an early departure on Saturday. I am dreading dealing with my way-too-heavy suitcase once again as I carry it down the 60 stairs and roll it downhill to the center of town where we will catch a bus to Amalfi, transfer to another bus to Salerno, take a train to Rome, spend the night, and catch an early train home on Sunday. Every time we move on, I swear never again to bring so much stuff.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please please, Barbara, take a plane home early Sunday morning. It will be much faster and ever so much more comfortable!! Can't wait to see you.

8:24 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

What a great trip you've had!

Jakey can't wait to see you.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Yeah, what lr said.

Glad you had such a great vaca ... but there's no place like home!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR, Reya -- No Orient Express? Yes, we will definitely be on Air France on Sunday!

Gewels -- I hope Jakey remembers us!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not been able to post a comment for weeks because I am not recognized. If this works, I just want to tell you how wonderful it has been to share the trip with you! Exquisite postings about Italy and your time there.

Kate

12:02 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- I've missed you. What do you mean you're not recognized? If there's anything I can do to fix it, please let me know.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home