Friday, June 06, 2008

The Garden of Eden with a Blue Grotto

Today we explored Capri (accent on the first syllable), possibly the most beautiful place on the face of the earth. It was definitely a step up from the usual tourist spots.

I gulped as I jumped into the tossing little boat with no sign of any life jackets. As we bumped over the waves on the way to Capri, I looked at the options I might grab in case the boat capsized.

But as we approached Capri, I was quickly distracted from my fear of drowning. The rock rose straight up from the sparkling blue-green water. It seemed wild and uninhabited with birds circling overhead.

On the other side of the island, the boat docked amidst boats that looked like something out of a James Bond movie. We had 5 hours to wander around the island.

After taking the funicular up to the top, we had a picnic lunch overlooking the harbor. Then we strolled through the streets filled with designer shops, hotels, and gardens everywhere.




I could have had this little black and white dress at Moschino for a mere 1975 Euros.

We passed a perfume factory and just had to go in while the boys hung around outside. My one purchase of the day was 3 small bottles of eau de toilette made from the flowers of Capri.

We just finished a gelato and coffee and will soon get back on our little boat to go home to Praiano.

(later) Tonight’s dinner was at the beach at La Gavitelli. Linguine with seafood, fabulous dessert, and lemoncella. On the way out the cook kissed our hands and thanked us for coming to his restaurant.





And then 1,000 steps up to get home drunk and happy.

8 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Wow that sky! We never see that color sky here. Fantastic!! Glad you're having so much fun.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The pictures are gorgeous and I imagine they're only a fraction of what you must see.

9:46 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

wonderful wonderful blue skies and seas, it looks gorgeous. And fab. food.... ah what a great trip.

4:37 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Oh- LEMONS LEMONS EVERYWHERE!!!!

And what about that gorgeous pair of designer sandals in the window? Didn't they come in a size 11? I mean for me silly.

5:57 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

what blue!!

a perfume factory! how fun...

how I'm enjoying your holiday!!!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Beautiful!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Simply breath-taking!

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How gorgeous!! My 10year old daughter and I read "Red Sails to Capri" (by Ann Weil) last year, and it was fascinating. Even though it was a "children's" book, I reveled in the description of the beautiful island of Capri. My daughter has pledged to go there one day and go into the grotto. Thanks for posting your lovely trip!!!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home