Sunday, August 03, 2008

Pursuing the Perfect Pie

My lifelong search for good pizza in the DC area continued today. I found a place in Crystal City through Chow Hound, usually a reliable source. Great recommendations, started by the guy who designed the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum. Perfect, I thought.

I should have known as I saw the first pizza that the crust was not good. But instead we waited at least a half hour for our pizza. There seemed to be no way to get a knife and fork and I don’t do so well NYC-style eating my pizza. The toppings seemed to slide right off the too-thick crust into a pool on the plate. But the real kicker was the dark hair that appeared in my husband’s first slice. We made a hurried exit never to return.

Given we were both more than hungry, we headed to Clarendon to Sette Bello, a place that has good food in general. We had delicious gazpacho while we waited for our pizza. As it turns out, the Neapolitan pizza was a rival to the best pizza we had in Italy. The crust was thin but raised on the edges with little burned places. Everything stayed in place when it was cut. Served with fresh Parmesan and hot peppers. Just the way I like it.

I will definitely go back to Sette Bello to enjoy first-rate pizza. So much for Chow Hound.

Do you have a favorite pizza place?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I don't have a favorite pizza place; though, I do like Facia Luna and Matchbox. Having spent another weekend in NYC, though, I realize that nothing compares.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I can't figure out what makes the NYC pizza and bagels superior! Some say it's the water.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

NYC pizza and bagels are superior because of the whole package. They are excellent to begin with, but then there's the water, the air, the energy of the city, and everything else. In case you can't tell, I am also a fan!

I had some excellent pizza in Clarendon back in May, but I can't remember the name of the place. I don't think it was Sette Bello so maybe it was Faccia Luna - I'm just not sure. But it had that nice crispy super thin crust and fresh basil. Yum!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I can see we have similar taste in pizza. Want to split one someday soon? I like all toppings, even anchovies.

But I hate thick gloppy soggy crusts and I am quite particular. I have just been scouring the Internet looking at people's suggestions for DC's best pizza. Most people conclude you won't find good NYC-style pizza here. But several restaurants seem to be mentioned multiple times.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it may be trendy to say so...but the Best Pizza in DC (IMO) is 2Amys in Friendship Heights.

Just try to avoid going on weekend nights. The wait may be quite annoying.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home