Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trice Is Nice

Hope springs eternal that my husband and I might be able to bike together. You might remember that on several occasions I was bemoaning the fact that he had to ride so much faster than I do. Well, things have changed.

He had become increasingly troubled by neck pain from riding his road bike. After doing some research, he decided to switch to a recumbent tricycle. He rode several different models before deciding on the Trice QNT (quite nice trike? or perhaps quite narrow trek). It gives him the comfort he needs to protect his neck and still allows him to bike.

The good news is he may be going just a little slower, perhaps just enough slower that we can now stay together. We went out for a test ride in the neighborhood this morning and seemed to have generally the same pace. I actually zoomed up the one big hill ahead of him. What a feeling of accomplishment!

Who knows? I may eventually make the switch. For one thing, I would never have to worry about falling over if I forgot to unclip my shoes when I stopped.

I actually went bike shopping earlier in the week, hoping to find a bike as nice as my current one with a step-through frame. I came to find out that only Wonder Woman (Linda Carter) can afford such a bike. She recently bought a custom-made bike from Spokes etc. at the cost of about $6,000. But for now my Specialized Sequoia is just fine, despite the fact that I look like a dork getting on and off it as I lie it on its side.

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wonder Woman needs a bicycle? What happened to the invisible plane?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Good luck with keeping pace. Solutions come in such unlikely places.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Wonder Woman (who actually lives here in Potomac) needed a very nice bike apparently with a frame made by Seven Cycles.

Kristin -- That is so true. I had all but given up.

9:47 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Funny, just an hr. ago I rode up the lift with a woman and her retro bike with leather grips and an old-school generator light. I commented that, with all the advanced bike technology (carbon fiber, etc.), the most popular bikes out here are old fashioned cruisers with few or no gears and a basket in front!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- I have often said my best bike was a black Peugeot with a "mixte" frame that I purchased around 1980. Since then the idea of a woman's frame and a good road bike just don't come together commercially, not unless you are willing to spend big bucks that is.

Could it be there are fewer hills where these people with the one-gear bikes are riding?

9:51 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I rode a $100 bike for 3 years...it was a good bike.

i told you what to do if he gets to going too fast Barb...just let a little air out of his tires!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- That would be hard to do since he pumps his tires up each time before he goes out riding...

11:52 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

THERE IS SOMETHING DEFINITLY WRONG WITH HIM.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Dr Zibbs said...

I have a regular trek road bike but those things look really cool

12:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

DrZibbs -- It's slightly weird to be riding with someone who is so low to the ground.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home