Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Take on Swiss Chard


Swiss chard eluded me for most of my life, but I’m making up for lost time. It could be because we seem to get it in just about every week’s CSA crate, but I tend to buy it at the grocery store when we don’t.

Here’s what the link in my post yesterday said about this dark green vegetable:

Swiss chard: A leafy green vegetable packed with carotenoids that protect aging eyes.
How to eat it: Chop and saute in olive oil.

Tonight’s chard took about 10 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes of cooking time start to finish. Here’s the recipe:

Small amount of lemon olive oil
1 large bunch of Swiss chard
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Golden raisins*
Pine nuts*
Slivered almonds*
Any type of tomatoes, chopped*
Small amount of any type of broth
Salt*
Red pepper flakes*
Drizzle of Balsamic vinegar

*Your choice as to quantity.

Heat olive oil in large pan. Saute onion and garlic over medium high heat.

Remove thick stems and coarsely chop the Swiss chard.

When onions are transparent, add the chard and the remaining ingredients.

Stir to combine all ingredients.

Cover and cook over moderately low heat for 15 minutes or until it is done to your liking.

Here’s a great drink to sip on while you chop: 1/3 cup Pom juice, 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/3 cup white wine. Yum!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lemmonex said...

Oh, I like the combo of almonds and pine nuts...good call. Looks delicious.

8:39 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Swiss Chard is my absolute favorite green. We have it every week. I'll try this recipe. I tend to keep mine real simple but yours looks great!
Bar- you really must go to my recipe blog and add yours to it.
Let me know if you want to be added.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Wow, that looks and sounds delicious!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Alright, Swiss Chard--watch out! I'm comin' for ya!
Thanks for the awesome recipe with pictures. I'm actually looking forward to eating chard for once.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I love swiss chard, though it's one of those things I seldom cook. (Guess I should cook it more!)

I love the combo of dark greens and raisins. I make broccoli rabe with raisins and garlic, and it's one of my favorite recipes.

10:38 AM  
Blogger e said...

Wow! I stram mine and add the olive oil, garlic and lemon, but this looks even better!

Thanks for the recipe...

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wow, that looks so much better than anything I've managed to do with it. Tonight.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm so glad everyone is embracing Swiss chard with so much enthusiasm. You won't be disappointed.

Gewels -- I have so much trouble reading my favorite Blogs these days that I haven't been able to contemplate a recipe Blog. If you are suggesting that I add my link, it's probably not appropriate since I write about food on such a sporadic basis. I promise to go check yours out though!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

sipping the drink as we speak but I have to replace the wine with sparkling water...

I grow rainbow chard - the stalks are lovely shades of pink and red and yellow. I always pick it just before I'm ready to eat it and mostly just steam it with a bit of salt and pepper for seasoning. Sometimes I drop a minced clove of garlic in the steam water. I have sauted it, chopped, in a bit of olive oil and minced garlic, with an addition of julienned carrots and bits of red pepper (all from the garden) and but really prefer it simply steamed as soon as it's picked.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Last week we had rainbow chard. This week's was white. Do you notice a difference in taste? Are you still harvesting anything from your garden? I can imagine you have canned enough to get you through the winter. It won't be like picking it fresh from the garden, but certainly the next best thing!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I find rainbow chard a bit sweeter, especially when it is first ready in early summer, but that may just be my reaction to those lovely colors :)

I have canned over 20 quarts of stewed tomatoes (which also used the bountiful crop of green peppers), frozen the green and wax beans and carrots, put up 19 quarts of pickles, and made three jars of red pepper relish. I netted over 20 pounds of blue potatoes and winter squash is heaped in a couple of baskets. I also made and canned apple sauce and froze enough fillings for 2 apple pies. Come for dinner!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

beautiful photo essay, Barbara!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Believe it or not, I have never tasted Swiss Chard but I think I may try this. Hope I like it!

I didn't know gewels had a recipe blog!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home