Monday, November 24, 2008

Homecoming



This was one incredibly long day as we made our way home to be a family once again for Thanksgiving.

There were a few issues about the items we bought for lunch at Whole Foods since plane food is nonexistent these days. I chose the above candy bar without checking out the price of $8 on the back, generating gasps from the rest of my family. But then later another family member left her $7 sandwich behind in security, which caused me to wonder what’s worse, wasting money on a delicious bar of dark chocolate or losing something perhaps more nutritious worth almost as much?

It’s always difficult leaving my mother-in-law, who says things like “I hope I live to see you again before I leave this earth.” Unfortunately this is quite a legitimate hope because of her failing health. My daughter came away in tears and we all felt like jerks for abandoning her once again.

Another source of stress was the near blizzard conditions under which we drove to the airport, not having nearly as much time as we had planned for buying gas, returning the rental car, and checking in. The sudden snow was not in the weather prediction!

Despite the snow, our plane left almost on time. I think we all fell asleep upon boarding. In fact, my husband woke up and finding the plane on the ground said in all seriousness that it seemed like a short flight, not realizing we hadn’t yet taken off.

We drove directly from the airport to dinner with friends and a lecture given by Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea. I could write several posts on that book, but instead I will simply say the author is as inspiring in person as he is in his book.


Finally by 10:00 we were able to pick up our Jake at the house where he had been staying. Was he ever surprised to see his favorite boy and girl in the car! His real dilemma tonight will be whose room to sleep in. I can only guess it won’t be mine.


It’s now time to think about family and Thanksgiving, offering up a big thanks for a safe trip and for a family once again all at home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

How did the red fire bar taste? I have not dared to buy such modern types chocolate yet! (And I won`t, at such price!)Does it taste like a chili?
Happy Thanksgiving! (For us, it is just another Thursday. But here we celebrate St. Nikolaus-Day!)

2:48 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

glad you're all home and safe - Happy Thanksgiving!

6:59 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I think you have your priorities straight -- expensive chocolate definitely beats out slightly less expensive sandwich. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Glad you're back safely!

($8 for a candy bar? Good Lord.)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Welcome home! It sounds like a great trip, even with the costly snacks and tearful departure.

I would have loved to hear more about what Mortenson had to say. I enjoyed the book and admire his perseverance.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Funny, Vosges chocolate figured prominently in the chocolate tasting with my parents. The red fire bar was good, but I have to say that their bacon chocolate bar was waaaay better. BTW, they were cheaper (about six bucks) at Cost Plus. There are people who think NOTHING about spending twenty to thirty dollars for wine, and hey, why not have the same standard for chocolate! My folks liked the Lindt chili bar better (the chocolate was a little creamy).

Glad your back and Jake has the hard decision of who to sleep with!

4:44 PM  
Blogger e said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Barbara, David, Daniel and Rachel. I wish you a wonderful time together with friends for the holiday. I will be away and not available via Internet, but do not worry. I return Saturday.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Happy Thanksgiving-- was that $8.00 candy bar a Cote d' Or ? They sell the double bar here in Nyack for $7.95 It's totally worth it (it is not blended in china like 98 % of Hersheys products, Cadbury & Mars are fully in China now.... it is totally worth it to have quality!

enjoy!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

For those of you who commented on the pricey chocolate, it was good and it was the real thing with no additives, but I've had better for $4. I probably would have chosen something less expensive if I had bothered to turn it over and look at the price. I was mostly attracted to the name and the wrapper. Marketing is so important!

In the scheme of things, what does $8 really buy you otherwise these days? I seldom have regrets or guilt after spending money on food, especially after it has been consumed.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home