Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finding a Place in the Pack


For the first time in his 10-year-old life, my Jake became a pack animal yesterday. I think he wanted to show the other dogs in Congressional Cemetery that dogs from Virginia know how to do more than fetch tennis balls.

Jake had been invited to join Jacob and Amos in a walk on familiar territory for them, but a new place for him. It would seem that Congressional Cemetery draws dogs from all over Capitol Hill. It’s a great place to let them run free off-leash because there is a large iron fence surrounding the place.

After we entered through the main gate, I could see Jake had a real dilemma on his hands because every gravestone begged to be decorated. Soon however he was distracted by all the other dogs, who were racing at full speed in and out among the stone markers.


Jake’s typical reaction is to totally ignore other dogs and spend all of his energy looking for a ball of any sort that he can convince someone to throw. But today, he ran non-stop for 45 minutes instead while I walked and talked with my friend through the beautiful old cemetery.


As a result, Jake has been rather comatose since coming home.


He’s actually resting up, because next week his boy is coming home for the first time in over a year. Our son, who has been living in Hamburg, Germany, for the past year is coming for a visit. There will be no doubt as to whose room Jake will be sleeping in. They have actually been known to be playing with Jake’s Kong in the wee hours of the morning.

Although I was frozen by the end of yesterday’s walk, it was a fun outing into the District. Jake was delighted that this car ride didn’t end at the vet’s office, but rather at a place where he could run with some new friends.

15 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Sound like Jake had a fun day, and so did you!

9:23 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Jake has the right idea! You need a good rest after a busy day.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- It was nice to be in such a big space where you didn't have to worry about your dog running away.

Bozoette -- Neither of us is working too hard today.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Way to go, Jake! Ain't no party like a dog-run party, 'cuz a dog-run party don't stop!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- Maybe I wouldn't have been so cold if I had been running as fast as he was!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. All that running for Jake, talking for you, and plans to see your son soon.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm happy with my life right now. Every day seems to have something to look forward to.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It's great to get exercise and then come home and just feel exhausted for a while! Jake looks so happy!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Jake leads a rather stress-free life. He doesn't lack for much!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*laughs* Post-cemetary pics reminds me of my dog when I first moved up north. I lived in apartments, and because of health problems he never got any really long walks. My new MIL, though, was an avid walker, and walked hours at a time. She took a real shine to Jordan and would come borrow him for walks. When he'd get back home, he'd walk to his bed and then literally just fall over on his side and wouldn't move for hours. He loved the walks, but it took him some time to build up his stamina.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jodith -- I have some health issues that make walking not the easiest thing for me. But I can see it would do me just as much good as it does Jake to get out there more frequently!

3:25 PM  
Blogger nurilhakim said...

Warmest regards, just dropping by..
With a question:
Looking for peace?
Feeling empty inside?
Well,
what do you know about Islam?
Ask me, or visit www.linkstoislam.com.
Take the trouble!Thanx!!

3:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Nurilhakim -- With all due respect, I have a religion that works quite well for me in terms of providing inner peace. Would you like to know something about Judaism?

6:54 AM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Thanks, I'm a sucker for your Jake posts, and pics of him sleeping are just icing on the cake. Any time, all the time, no problem.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Haha, like Paco Jake looks as if he was a good eater - and needed all the running around he can get. We took a looong walk today, too, and both feel good now. Snow is still on the ground, beautiful.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home