Wednesday, November 26, 2008

No Thanksgiving Economies of Scale

Just a small family Thanksgiving sounded so easy, so restful. But I had forgotten that Thanksgiving dinner, like the Passover meal, is the same amount of work, no matter how many guests, because there are so many different dishes to prepare.

The menu includes everyone’s requests:

Pumpkin soup (a late addition by Dan which I allowed only if he would be responsible for making it)
Brined turkey with bread-mushroom-sausage stuffing (one person is still fighting the sausage)
Giblet gravy
Cranberry sauce with port and figs
Brussel sprouts with pecans
Asparagus
Mashed white potatoes with pureed fennel
Sweet potatoes
Pumpkin pie

Yesterday I made almost 2 gallons of chicken stock for the brining process. I baked a pumpkin and scooped out the tender orange flesh after it cooled. You can see this is a family that does things from scratch. I have been using canned pumpkin for years, but my organic SF daughter insisted on buying a pumpkin and roasting the seeds.


Today I picked up two big challahs at Best Buns and cubed the bread for the stuffing. (My mother always did it the day before so it could dry out.) I made cranberry sauce with port and figs. (I used fresh figs.) Rachel assembled the turkey in the brining solution. I cooked up the giblets. I made the dough for the pumpkin pies, which will be baked tomorrow. Dan found a recipe for pumpkin soup.

Tomorrow as the house fills with the smell of a roasting turkey, I have a plan that we will take Jake for a long walk in Congressional Cemetery to burn off some calories in preparation for the meal that always puts you to sleep.

Next year maybe I will invite an army of people. It’s almost easier when everyone brings a course. There are no economies of scale in a Thanksgiving dinner for four people!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Yippee! I am the first to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! The details of your scrumptious menu has left me anxious for my own meal - which if things go well won't require too much effort on my part. Enjoy the day.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It is definitely easier when you can share the load. For four of us, I only need to bring pie and wine. I gave into canned pumpkin (though I prefer fresh) but made the crust myself.

Your dinner sounds positively scrumptious. Happy Thanksgiving!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That sound so good! I'm starving right now and can't wait to eat at my brother's tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary, Kristin, Cyndy -- It sounds like you are all into collaboration this year. Hopefully this will allow you to spend more time just enjoying the day and the people around you. Happy Thanksgiving to each of you!

8:59 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

WOW!! that's a lot of prep work ... and the sad part is that we generally eat it all so quickly ... !!

i'm not sure who has the better end of the wishbone, here: you cooking your scrumptious meal or me scurrying about, emptying last minute cabinets and throwing 'stuff' into moving boxes ....

A neighbor blessed us with a Thanksgiving invite: bring just yourselves - nothing else...

ahh ... good friends, good food, and good family - wherever and however we find them !

happy turkey day!
xx
rdm

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home